Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Ramsey, Cambs  (Read 3659 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Hello from Ramsey, Cambs
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:41:05 pm »
Just thought I would pop my Hello and introduce myself. 2 months ago I moved into my new house which we bought with 3.5 acres as we wanted to build on our dream of being as self sufficient as possible and had outgrown our garden.

We brought with us 2 dogs, 1 rabbit, 1 parrot, 8 chickens, 4 ducks and 2 bee hives.

And in 2 months have taken on an extra 2 rescue dogs (well we have the space for them to run around), 10 extra rescue chickens, having 2 saddleback weaners delivered next week and waiting for some Anglo-Nubian goats to be born by a local goat breeder that we have arranged to buy. Also planning to plant an orchard and a wild flower meadow for the honey bees.

I think I might have jumped in the deep end, but very excited to have the space to take the next step. Can't wait for the warmer weather to make progress on my new Veg patch! I am sure this forum is going to be invaluable this year.  :excited:

________
Caroline

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hello from Ramsey, Cambs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:35:47 am »
Morning Caroline. We did something very similar three years ago although we only have 2 acres. It's a steep learning curve but incredibly enjoyable and satisfying. This website is invaluable. :)  What are you planning to do with your goat milk?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:43:06 am »
Welcome :wave: from Dorset.  The deep end is best!  How lovely for your rescue dogs to have a country home.  Good luck  :thumbsup:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »
Hi  :wave: I have Anglo Nubian and British Alpine goats, they are lovely you will love them  :thumbsup:
All hard work this 'self sufficient '  but such a buzz when all goes well ! Enjoy  :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:53 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave: . Sounds like a great project - glad you could join us  :)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:30:34 pm »
Hiya Caroline!
Sounds like a suspiciously similar situation to some old members of our community farm who just moved up that way with a similar collection of animals - perhaps you know them?
Enjoy the goats when you get them - I might have to chase you to join Cambridgeshire Goat Keepers Society then....

Ben

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:17:16 pm »
Thanks all. Yes I feel it is going to be hard work but am sure very rewarding and I am fortunate to have my very own brilliant handyman to take on all the building and maintenance projects for me (he loves it really)  ;D

Am hoping to do cheesemaking with the goats milk as well as being our main milk source and yes it helped being involved at the community farm (Hi Ben  :wave:) and made us feel we were ready for the challenge.
________
Caroline

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »
 :wave:Hello from just up the road. we keep some of our pigs at my parents holding just outside of ramsey, they have kept and shown goats for over 40 years so if you need any advise shout.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:50:23 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire. I have Saanens.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 12:12:47 am »
 :wave: From Ely, just about finished our house build. I have too many ponies and three sheep.

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:00:27 am »
Hi from Ely as well.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 12:32:45 pm »
Great to see a few more peeps from the local area  :wave:
________
Caroline

Mr.B

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 10:48:13 pm »
nice to know there are small holders in the area im moving to in a few weeks, little staughton, just 20 miles away, hopi9ng to get a plot up and running soon, good luck with your new venture in the deep end

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 08:35:35 pm »
Does anyone fancy sharing wormers vaccinations for this year and trying to tie in shearing, transport and trips to the abattoir?

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:50 pm »
At the moment i only have chucks and bee's HoneyEnd. Next on my plans will be some porkers so will be looking at local abattoirs research.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS