Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An unhappy goose  (Read 4108 times)

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
An unhappy goose
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:24:20 pm »
We bought a trio of geese a while back from a lady who couldn't afford to keep them anymore. They are Embden types and were sold as a gander and two geese.
The gander and one of the ladies seem to have paired up nicely and I'm looking forward to getting some eggs soon.
The other 'lady' has been kicked out of the gang although she tries to hang about with the pair is constantly chased off. She's getting depressed and I don't quite know what to do with her.

I wondered if she might be a gander but she doesn't particularly seem to behaving like one.
Anyone got any ideas?  ???
Thanks
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: An unhappy goose
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:28:43 pm »
This is the situation I'm in, I bought a trio and thought I had got 1 boy and 2 girls, but alas no, have 2 boys and one is being so badly picked on have had to seperate.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:33:37 pm »
Hi, I've just read your post actually!! I don't think I have two ganders  :fc: . I'm thinking perhaps I should try and vent sex her just to check?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »
It was easy for me to confirm as the boys tail feathers are the same
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:34:50 pm »
I think it's an unhappy time of year for geese! I've just had to split mine into two groups because my top gander (sadly infertile) was picking on gander junior. I've left three of the geese with the junior gander and top gander only has one as a non-breeding pair. They both managed to break back into the main group yesterday so I've stopped up that gap and today they've been patrolling up and down the fence line. Putting them into their new shed was hell!

Only think I can think is to try and find another goose from somewhere to be friends. Maybe a third female and then if it does turn out she/he's a gander they'll be a pair, and if not just friends?

H

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:01:27 pm »
Yes a bad time right enough, I have been housing my Six geese all together at night two ganders and four geese hasent been two much of a problem until this morning when I let them out and the two ganders had a right go at each other. The battle didn't last long but seemed very full on. Have arranged to sell the young gander with a mate next week not a moment to soon. Also one of the other females is going so that will leave me with a trio and no more fighting. :thumbsup:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:31:43 pm »
Sounds like a good idea HesterF, and a great excuse, er I mean reason to get another goose  ;D
I didn't realise geese are so picky!!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 07:38:44 am »
Geese are as picky as humans when it comes to deciding who's going to join the gang or not! Always best to sell/ cull the outsider I think.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 09:17:26 am »
Thanks for all the help. I think we will end up culling her  :(  Kinder in the long run I think.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:19:21 am »
Where are you, you could have my boy if it makes her happy

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:42 pm »
Geese are as picky as humans when it comes to deciding who's going to join the gang or not! Always best to sell/ cull the outsider I think.

I'll not be trying to join your gang then!   ;D

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:27 pm »

Yea!! We're 'ard ;D ;D

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 05:33:33 pm »
Where are you, you could have my boy if it makes her happy
We're in Gwynedd, North Wales Mojocafa, where are you?

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 05:35:01 pm »

Well, I was thinking culling for the table......... :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS