Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit cage  (Read 4438 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Fruit cage
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:54:07 pm »
we need to replace our fruit cage, the current one has wooden poles which have rotted and saggy netting on the top, plus part if it was destroyed by a heavy snow fall. I am thinking about a metal cage, possibly with a remove able top to stop snow damage. Does anyone have any advice, recommendations etc? Thanks

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Fruit cage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:05:52 pm »
I've looked at caging my own at various times.. sadly the sheer cost of half decent poles and netting compared to the amount I can actually eat has put me off.
The cheapest option I came up with for my huge patch .. may not be aesthetic for you - would be to use security fencing panels and roof post from angle stuff... then net over it. If one can source th small mesh security panels secondhand then they probably wouldn't need extra netting.
Othewise I'd be as well off polytunnelling mine (cos i went overboard as usual and it's 60 paces by 20 paces that'd need doing)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:29:06 pm »
I lust after Harrod Horticultural cages but they are a complete fortune. I've only got a couple of their veg tunnels and they are fab! TBH, not quite sure where I'd put one of their cages - my soft fruit is spread all over the place - but I want to create a walk-way with trained apples and pears sometime and I'd use their structures in a heart beat for that.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 03:17:46 pm »
If starting from scratch would you put a fruit cage in full sun or in a slightly shaded area?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 04:36:04 pm »
If starting from scratch would you put a fruit cage in full sun or in a slightly shaded area?
I'd put it in full sun facing N to S.  Get as much sun on the plants when they are producing fruit to help ripen them. 

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:09 pm »
Ok cheers for that,   :thumbsup:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:22:09 pm »
I made mine with scaffold poles with a removable net to stop snow damage (which collapsed my old one). Got a mate in the scaffolding business so I got it cheaply!  :excited:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Scaffold poles sound a good idea! I will discuss with OH.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 06:48:19 am »
My great-nephew (he doesn't know it yet ;)) is going to convert a very large hen run built with deer fencing into a fruit cage. I can't remember now the cost of fencing and stakes but it couldn't have been too much or I wouldn't have had it done. With plastic netting over the top, removable for winter and to let the birds in to eat any grubs I am hoping for great things ;D

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 09:56:33 am »
Firsttunnels do fruit cages.  They are easily assembled and sturdy.  I have actually moved mine on one occasion with no problems.  Downsides are that their side netting is too thin - I startled a pigeon that was outside when I was walking to the cage, and it simply flew straight through the plastic netting tearing a massive hole.  Secondly, it will take a lot of fruit to off-set the cost of the cage. 

Removing the roof netting is a real hassle.  The last two years we haven't bothered as it takes so long and you end up with holes in it.  We just risked not having too much snow, and accepted if it needed replacing then so be it.

If I was doing it again, I would probably only put cherry trees in the fruit cage, and any soft fruit like raspberries into a polytunnel.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS