Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to goats  (Read 14941 times)

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
New to goats
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:34:41 pm »
Hello :wave:,
I'm about to become a new goat keeper. I'm quite experienced with most animals but not goats!
I'm Going to keep the goat and kid in our barn until we all get used to each other but then I'm going to put them out in a paddock during the day.
I do have several questions  :)
What hard feed should I feed her on?
I alwSys think of goats being quite destructive, is this true?
I would eventually like to start milking her, what equipment do I need?
If anyone could recommend a good book, that would be useful too.
Thank you in advance

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: New to goats
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:36 pm »
Looks like you haven't done all that much preparation.... an adult goat on her own will be miserable and will (most likely) shout for you at every opportunity.

Every goat book will tell you to keep at least two goats, and no a kid doesn't really count.

Please go and get books on goats from your local library and/or google on abebooks.co.uk for cheap 2nd hand ones. Recommended Mackenzie, Goat husbandry 3rd edition. All the info you need is in there.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:14:17 pm »
I'm currently reading up on goats as hoping to get in a couple of months as well. Good to know that kids don't count as adult goat company as that hasn't been clear in what I have read so far which just states they need company.
________
Caroline

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:37:26 pm »
When they are out in the paddock they will need shelter as they will be miserable if they get wet.

I second what Anke says about adult company for the goat.

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:17:34 am »
How about a bit of positivity and encouragement?

Anke, I realise you are very experienced, from reading through other posts, but no need to be blunt :-\

I posted a similar post on a fb page and a very experienced lady has helped me out tremendously and happens to live near me and has offered to come and show me how to milk and give me some pointers.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:51:19 am »
Hi :wave:

A single goat and a kid should be okay - ideally would keep 2 adults but at least neither is on their own.
Hard feed - there is so much choice - goat coarse mix is too expensive for me as I have 30 but if only 2 then maybe a good start.  It will be balanced.  Not sure how much you should feed - depends on condition of goat and kid and if she is milking.
Need good quality forage all time - hay, can use barley straw - but hay best - especially for a milker I would say
My goats not destructive to buildings too badly but some have chewed wood. They will eat bark off trees so these will need to be protected depending on the species
Milking - well you are on same journey as me. I have a metal bucket, a sieve for sieving the milk and you will need somewhere clean to do it away from the bedding and ideally a raised area ie stand for her - better on the back
Books - loads around - Alan Mowlem one OK. Best one for vet things is Matthews book but is expensive but well worth it

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:25:54 am »
Another thing to remember is a mineral supplement as goats have high needs for minerals. We have used Caprivite and also the Goat balancer from Dennis Brinicombe. For milking kit you can get stuff from Goat Nutrition. For feed I currently use the Caprotein mix from Goat Nutrition which is mixed with oats and barley in different ratios to give different protein percentages so I can tailor it to the milkers' or the kids' requirements. You will also need foot shears as they need their feet doing very regularly. If the person coming to see you can show you how to foot trim properly that will be a big help. Think about where you can restrain them for things like trimming or milking if you will be doing it alone. Good luck and enjoy them  :thumbsup:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:19:02 pm »
How about a bit of positivity and encouragement?

I got my goats after more than two years reading up on whatever goat-related I got my hands on (mainly library and 2nd hand), googling and speaking to other goatkeepers - went to visits and to shows. But only after I had acquired the basic knowledge without taking up other people's time.

Your questions would all have been answered by reading ONE goatkeeping book.... and then I would be happy to answer more detailed questions...

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 01:55:55 pm »
I do have a goat keeping book, but I like to find out people's OWN experiences as I have found that generally it's much better to ask ( ideally talk face to face) than just to get info from a book.
As I said I have experience with most farm animals and have common sense and we kept goats a long time ago.
Forums like this is for asking questions, or have I missed the point of this forum completely?

Thank you to the other posters for answering and helping.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 02:16:46 pm »
There is a proverb warning one not to get into other peoples' arguments but please bear in mind, those of you with greater experience that I for one  am looking for answers when I don't know - and sometimes my ignorance would dismay the reader.
I would hate to feel I couldn't ask without being at risk of a harsh response.
Group hug????

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 03:17:30 pm »
Goats will need access to shelter if out during the day as not waterproof coat like sheep

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 04:14:53 pm »
Thanks cuckoo, I will bear that in mind for when I put her out :)

That's how I felt after posting tbh, Ghdp. Better to ask than not, surely? We don't want to put people off and then they have slip ups.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 09:05:24 pm »
I agree, better to ask  8)

Different people research in different ways, and we shouldn't judge each other on that. Rosiecrad, how old is the kid?

Beth

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:40:13 pm »
She's 2 weeks old

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:03:37 pm »
Thinking about feeding, you are best asking the person you are getting them from what food is being used and buy some in readiness. Goats don't take too kindly to an abrupt change in diet and are likely to refuse to eat if they don't like it. Yes, they really are that fussy. I've had it happen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS