Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it always this blimmin' difficult?! (Castrating)  (Read 6399 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Is it always this blimmin' difficult?! (Castrating)
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:26 pm »
Flippin eck!!! This is the third day iv been up and tried to castrate little Oscar. Poor little thing, it can't be pleasant for him to be pulled and prodded. Iv had to give up again as I just can't do it. He's 6days old tomorrow so it's really my last chance tomorrow but I don't hold out much hope. I'm so bloody annoyed. The contraption we have to open the band seems useless (are they all the same???) if I hold it one way it stabs his tummy with sharp teeth and the other way means I'd have to roll the band off and risk his little marbles flying back up and out of the band again. Surely it shouldn't be this difficult???
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
Re: Is it always this blimmin' difficult?! (Castrating)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »
No! but to say that the first couple of times weren't fun is an understatement. This video is really clear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGgA4jauSFg
Good luck.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:59:22 pm »
Haha, that video is great but it won't make it any easier to do, especially if your lambs are small!

There are a number of previous threads on here all about this subject and the problems with the more primitive/non commercial/small breeds.

I have given up castrating my BWMs for this reason (and I hate doing it)!

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »
When I was farming commercially it was always much easier to do it with two people. We used to have a long low bench that two people could sit on facing each other one would hold the lambs with their (the lambs!) bum on the bench whilst the other person facing them would apply the rings. The person holding can easily stop them moving whilst the other person can concentrate on the task.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:15:26 pm »
Hi
Where are you?
Sounds like you could do with a bit of a demo and practise.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »
Do you have a friendly neighbour farmer who could show you?  Most are very willing to help newbies.

A couple of years ago I couldn't ring a castlemilk moorit lamb, my experienced farmer neighbour took 5 tries before he got both balls in the ring.  He doesn't think much of my wild sheep.

I'm busy tomorrow but could maybe visit on Thursday afternoon if you're stuck.
Isn't there someone else on here lives nearer you?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:07:18 pm »
My vet has offered to show me / do it with me the first time. Maybe yours would too?
It can't bd that expensive (at least I f you can take the lamb to them)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:23:51 pm »
use the prongs to push into the lamb and the balls often pop into the sack,

I put the band halfway down the prongs, open up and put over, lamb is dangling between my legs, sort of upside down and sort of hanging with legs split and balls on show, head clamped through my legs rest dangling

Take the end of the balls using just a tuft of hair, not squeezing them, guide gently through and then I push the prongs into the actual lamb, not hard but firm and then release, as the prongs were underneath the balls then the balls cant go back in, I check that all is well and he has two in the sack and then wiggle the prongs off whilst rolling the band down, I do the tail at the same time, then grasp a back leg and swing the lamb forward and onto its legs at the same time and grab the next one by the same hind leg and swing up inbewteen your legs, grip with your legs and keep going, means you have two hands to do the job and never have to hold or adjust the lamb with your hands

I can do easily 60-100 an hour like this working on the 1,500 ewe unit

If the lamb has only one ball or they arent there then I always leave the tail long so its easy to tell from a distance

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:01:26 pm »

Take the end of the balls using just a tuft of hair, not squeezing them,

Having spent many years teaching students to ring for the first time I agree with most of what you said Ladygrey  but disagree with the above ..... touching the sac tends to encourage the testicles to be retracted which is not a problem for you as you have masses of practice and do the job very fast.   I recommend novices put their left index and ring fingers on the two teats and press hard (encourages testicles to descend and stops ring catching them) until ring is on and elastrators closed.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:56 pm »
I have Ouessants so finding miniscule balls isn't easy and to be honest doing them within the 7 day period not possible. However to avoid leaving them any longer than possible its always easier with  a second person if you can possibly find one to help out and secondly heres my DIY when everything else fails method.  Take a clean length of string  tie in a  single  knot and secure around balls where the ring will eventually sit. This will hold the things in place giving you time to play with the appplicator and position everything totally correctly before releasing the band. The string can easily be removed from under the band.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 06:12:44 pm »

Take the end of the balls using just a tuft of hair, not squeezing them,

Having spent many years teaching students to ring for the first time I agree with most of what you said Ladygrey  but disagree with the above ..... touching the sac tends to encourage the testicles to be retracted which is not a problem for you as you have masses of practice and do the job very fast.   I recommend novices put their left index and ring fingers on the two teats and press hard (encourages testicles to descend and stops ring catching them) until ring is on and elastrators closed.

I see what you mean yes, important when teaching I suppose  :thumbsup:

But..... I dont touch the sac, I literately pinch the tiniest piece of fuzz at the end of the sac without touching any skin and I dont pull on it or do anything other than make sure the sac is lifted up enough to put the ring over, it seems to work and the balls dont notice  ::)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:44 pm »
Thanks so much for everyones replies! I think Im going to give the string method a go tomorrow afternoon.
I managed to do our other ram lamb relatively easily a few weeks ago so this has thrown me a bit. This one is a smaller lamb however!
Thank you to those who have offered to come and do it for me, however we are going out tomorrow and possibly thursday :( So kind of you though and I really appreciate the offer! May beg you next year if I have the same trouble lol

Wish me & little Oscar luck for tomorrow :p
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:32 pm »
Good luck! :fc:

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:42:24 am »
Done it!!!!! Finally!!!! Lol

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:00:06 am »
Well done!  (poor wee chap!).  What method worked for you in the end?

Did you notice that it was predominantly ladies who responded to this thread though Kate?  I for one could barely stand to read it, and even now am crossing my legs!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS