Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: birthing through prolaples harnis, help!  (Read 8638 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: birthing through prolaples harnis, help!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »
Good condition is code for over fat/badly managed in this sort of case I imagine. Aim to get sheep to lambing in optimal rather than top condition
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:38:56 pm by Me »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 07:27:49 pm »
 Just a comment. Whenever I've had one prolapsing I've always left the harness on till after lambing. In each case (about 4 or 5 in total) they've lambed unaided and the harness seems to move to one side to allow the lambs out.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 08:08:44 pm »
that's a relieving thought landroverroy, how tight have you had the straps?
hers are on fairly tight.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 09:10:31 pm »
One other thing to keep am eye on, if the harness is fairly tight then it might be rubbing. Ours had caused sores which were weeping. I was gutted when I noticed as I thought we were doing everything we could to make her comfortable.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:06 pm »
this a reply to "ME", who do you think you are? you are an arrogant fool. What do you know about my situation and what the vet said to me? for you information i am farming in Caithness with hill sheep, when the vet says its a part of good condition he means the sheep are not skinny as rails at this time of the year. i am disapointed by the stupidity of what you have said. idiot.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 07:11:43 pm »
I wasn't replying to you particularly actually Graemscifi as your post was further back in the conversation. I replied as a Vet to the OP who had asked: "(Graemscifi) why does the Vet say it’s a sign of good condition? I thought it was a trait that should be culled out of the flock and we were being too soft."

If over fatness is leading to prolapsing then management wasn't right. From a Vets perspective, when faced with farmers who are incapable of hearing it straight I have put things similarly and let them read between the lines. I doubt you know what was going through the vets mind when they said that to you.

I did not want those with less experience and knowledge than yourself to think that "top condition" possible was what they should be aiming for at lambing and make the point that over feeding (something many smallholders are guilty of) was bad management. Hence:

"Good condition is code for over fat/badly managed in this sort of case I imagine. Aim to get sheep to lambing in optimal rather than top condition"

The statement was made in the course of discussion. You can choose to take it as a personal attack if you like or how it's meant.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:56:49 pm by Me »

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:55 pm »
lastly my vet calls prolapses a condition of excellent sheep condition, seems a shame that getting your sheep to lambing in top condition can result in this disrtessing condition but thats just the way things are

What utter tosh  ::)  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

So everyone who doesn't have prolapses have sheep that aren't in top condition? And when since should sheep be in such a high condition that prolapses are inevitable at lambing time?

And it's certainly not "just the way things are" you need to visit a few more flocks, the flock should be manged to prevent this as well as being culled out, hill farmer or no hill farmer, if you are having prolapses you are doing something wrong and it needs correcting

at least it keeps your vet topped up I suppose

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 09:32:20 am »
this a reply to "ME", who do you think you are? you are an arrogant fool. What do you know about my situation and what the vet said to me? for you information i am farming in Caithness with hill sheep, when the vet says its a part of good condition he means the sheep are not skinny as rails at this time of the year. i am disapointed by the stupidity of what you have said. idiot.

Please tone it down Graemscifi. Even if the comment was aimed at you directly, which apparently it wasn't, the words 'fool', 'stupidity' and 'idiot' have no place here unless we're referring to ourselves.

It is possible to disagree or challenge someone without resorting to personal insults.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:35:38 am by Dan »

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:09 am »
I don't believe condition always dictates prolapse. I had a mule who has minor prolapse and she is always lean. It seems worse the more lambs she is carrying and the vet also said to limit the bulk feed, probably for same reason not to feed beet, so there is less pressure on the uterus.

fingers crossed the lambs arrive safe and well. I delivered once through prolapse and it is very scary but ewe managed fine while I stood and watched in horror. It was only vagnal so nothing out of place after. Your sounds more serious s I'd have vet on speed dial!  :fc:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 10:05:51 am »
Its a multi-factorial problem with several known risk factors (and some that are probably still not known). Genetic factors, diet, condition, slope of land, litter size etc all contribute.

On a practical level there are things you can or are willing to change and things you cannot/are not. We had five sheep prolapse last year, all were Pedigree Lleyn, four were from one breeder bought together that autumn (in a group of five, the fifth did not prolapse). One was also bought in but had been with me a while.
The ewes were carrying a little more condition than my flock average due to feeding for sale, were fed round bale silage (not ideal), all were carrying two-three.

So, this year all five have been culled as has the non-prolapsing relative of the four who did (so six culled). No lambs out of them were kept. The ewes are in generally good condition due to the soft year though none are over fat vs last year, they are/will be fed less than normal concentrate in late gestation. Once again we are feeding round bale silage and cannot change this... I suspect despite my imperfect management we will see much less vaginal prolapse this year. Time will tell!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:37:19 am by Me »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 11:06:17 am »
There is a possibility that the four from the one breeder had prolapsed before (they were two year olds) and he had sold them on through a Pedigree auction - which is naughty. After they have prolapsed for the first time the tissues are weak and even if they are kept skinny are likely to prolapse again.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 11:10:27 am »
Difficult to say, as in "how long is a piece of string?" :thinking:
However, I would say just tight enough to keep the prolapse in, - so really as loose as effectively possible. Certainly not tight enough to cause rubbing or so the ewe looked uncomfortable.
Rules are made:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 11:25:58 am »
"how long is a piece of string?" :thinking:

I have the answer; I was Tb testing on a Welsh speaking farm (English a poor second language) two brothers had roped in their South African brother in law for help and instructed him to "go and get some string" he dutifully disappeared and came back with approx. 12" of string. They went crazy! "Some string" means at least 18" apparently! So thats how long it is...

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 02:53:06 pm »
"how long is a piece of string?" :thinking:

I have the answer; I was Tb testing on a Welsh speaking farm (English a poor second language) two brothers had roped in their South African brother in law for help and instructed him to "go and get some string" he dutifully disappeared and came back with approx. 12" of string. They went crazy! "Some string" means at least 18" apparently! So thats how long it is...
Nice one :thumbsup: :roflanim:
But not quite the answer I expected! I thought you were going to give a precise answer as to how tight to do up a prolapse harness, as described in broken English by a Welsh farmer. ;D
Rules are made:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 09:11:25 pm »
 I put them on as tight as I can get without using a lot of force , and once fastened I then recheck that the straps are right up in the groin and no udder is trapped ( never had  any chaffing )
Just a comment. Whenever I've had one prolapsing I've always left the harness on till after lambing. In each case (about 4 or 5 in total) they've lambed unaided and the harness seems to move to one side to allow the lambs out.
While 9times this works on the 10th the lamb is trapped in the small middle hole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS