Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Head Stock see bargain special offer!  (Read 13698 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Sheep Head Stock
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 04:56:46 pm »

And there was me wondering why this wasn't in the recipe section  :thinking:

Me t question is how to get the big brute in position to attach?! This would be idea, for my billy goat but he digs his heels in and I can't budge him.

I don't know the first thing about goats, but I can move a fairly whopping sheep by shoving it backwards. They seem to think they're achieving something if they're in reverse  :sheep:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:58:29 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 01:09:08 am »
Many thanks for all the suggestions ..... I have done the rope to a hurdle in the past but recently dagged my Castlemilk ram with him tied with a halter (he is halter trained) and also with a rope around his horn, and he ended up lame with a split bleeding hoof and a big knee from thrashing about and trying to climb over or under the hurdle!  Hence my purchase.... :thumbsup:
The main reason I posted this link to the Ascott version of a headstock is that I wanted to share the special offer in case anyone was looking for one.... The special offer price is £57.50 plus £4.99 postage and the normal price is £82.50 (this is by far the cheapest make I could find as some are as much as £150).  I have seen secondhand ones make £60 on Ebay and they still have to be collected!

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 05:51:25 pm »
 :wave: nimbusllama - big THANK YOU for the tip off re the Ascott Dairy headstock - just ordered one via the link you posted - great price - been thinking about getting one for ages  :excited:

Womble  :roflanim: thanks for the laugh - reminded me of one time when I was pottering about and one of my big Zwartbles ewes shoved her head between my legs (I was leaning forward at the time) and before I knew it I was getting carted off backwards lol (wasn't flippin funny at the time tho!!)

Rarely need to do anything to feet but usually check all before tupping - mine are tied up tight with a halter (they're all halter trained) and then have their feet lifted up like a pony.  Most are really easy about it but I've got one (100kg plus ewe) that panics and goes nuts (have never caused her any pain!)  Hopefully in a headstock next time she won't be able to a) kneel down or b) fling her backside about 4ft high in the air?

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 10:54:21 pm »
Glad my post has been useful...  :)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 04:19:21 pm »
Me too Nimbusllama thanks well cheaper than i have ever seen  - even second hand

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep Head Stock see bargain special offer!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 07:43:38 pm »
Ewesaidit and nimbus llama just checking - did you get any rope on your head stocks as per the photo? - as i didn't - queried it and they apologised saying the rope was not included it was just used to show how to use the product - seems very bizarre
cheers
BL

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:27 pm »
Ewesaidit and nimbus llama just checking - did you get any rope on your head stocks as per the photo? - as i didn't - queried it and they apologised saying the rope was not included it was just used to show how to use the product - seems very bizarre
cheers
BL

I was wondering about that too as mine came without rope too
Anne

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:53 pm »
No I had the same conversation with them, they said it was just for illustration.... I already had some suitable rope, but agree it is misleading...however I am still happy with my purchase although I had to make a hole in the ground to get it low enough for my small sheep.  It will still be very useful and is good value.  :)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 05:26:34 am »
 Yeh still happy too qualities good and seems sturdy but just seems bizarre that they would give you something that doesn't actually work without the string
cheers for the replies
BL

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:01 am »
If anyone is struggling to find suitable rope, I have a ball that I bought to make some everyday sheep halters, so have more than I need.  If you PM me your address I will happily post you enough to use on the headstock... FOC of course.  :thumbsup:

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 10:35:23 pm »
Ewesaidit and Big Light the ropes were posted first class today.... there should be enough to make a loop at one end and then thread it through the eyelet and back through itself.  Hope it does the job for you both.
Brian

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 11:03:51 pm »
thanks

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 11:52:02 am »
Great, thanks  :thumbsup:

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »
Arrived today thank you again Brian

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 03:07:01 pm »
Lovin the rope Brian - very snazzy!   Will look fab against a zwartbles head     Many thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS