Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Head Stock see bargain special offer!  (Read 13702 times)

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Sheep Head Stock see bargain special offer!
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:08:39 am »
I am hankering after one of these, but need to check if they are suitable for horned sheep (Castlemilk Moorits) ?

Many thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:05:20 pm by nimbusllama »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Sheep Head Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:47 am »
Yes i have one and I have used it for horned sheep.  Can't say I use it very often ... I think i've got it out of the cupboard just once or twice!!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:48:01 pm »
I've seen them used with angora goats with no problems.

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:04:59 pm »
i made mine and we use it on variety of different breeds (anything from blackies to suffolks) ...i use mine all the time :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:03 pm »
That sounds great BS - any chance of some photos?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:21:40 pm »
we made a small platform for ours too, just to save the back and ,teaches our show lambs to stand better, the headstock we have made a quick release system in case something happens.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:24:38 pm by beagh-suffolks »

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:05 pm »
Very many thanks for all the helpful advice.... and your version looks fabulous BS... I will be on the look out for one!  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 03:14:43 am »
we made a small platform for ours too, just to save the back and ,teaches our show lambs to stand better, the headstock we have made a quick release system in case something happens.
Very good, it even enables them to stand on their heads  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:11:23 am »
Thanks for the pics!  :thumbsup:

I think I need to make up something similar for our big Zwartble tup, Ace.  He's a gentle boy, but hates having his feet done, and there's no way I can tip him.

The last time, I got Mrs Womble (lovely, slim, size 8, blow away in a wind Mrs Womble) to restrain Ace by hugging him around his neck whilst also holding onto a gate, whilst I nipped round the back to check him over.

Unfortunately, I'd left a scoop of coarse mix on top of a strainer post for afterwards, and just as I was finishing the first foot, it blew off the post, scattering tasty nibbles all over the place.

Needless to say, I was kicked in the balls whilst Mrs Womble was dragged off up the field, still hugging Ace. We still have no idea what his other three feet are like  :roflanim: .

Edit: What about one of these as an alternative option?:

They're on sale for £225+VAT from Fane Valley (By the way, I know that's not a sheep).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:47:02 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Sheep Head Stock see bargain special offer!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 08:48:09 am »
I have just ordered one of these for the bargain price of £62.49 as Ascott have got these on sale.  :excited:

http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/shepherds-mate-portable-head-gate/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:04:06 pm by nimbusllama »

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 09:25:39 am »
A cheap alternative is to use either a loop of rope or an old fan belt. Attach this to any railed enclosure or a post and pop the sheep's head through. I use this method to restrain both my Castlemilk Moorits (very flexible active sheep) and my Cotswolds (huge, heavy and very strong sheep).

Regards, Dave

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:23:47 am »
I use an old stirrup leather which of course has holes already punched through.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 11:25:04 am »
We use bailer plaited bailer twine made into a loop
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 01:35:24 pm »
Can one of you who uses alternatives (ie stirrup leathers or rope) post a photo also? I can't quite visualise how it's attached? Me t question is how to get the big brute in position to attach?! This would be idea, for my billy goat but he digs his heels in and I can't budge him.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 03:06:12 pm »
I catch my sheep, fasten the stirrup leather around it's neck. Move it to where I won't to secure it. Hold against gate. Unfasten leather slip round cross bar on gate so gate and sheep within the loop and tighten up.

Could you feed "your brute" by a gate then you haven't so far to go to get him secure?

I haven't done this but I guess you can hang a haynet on the gate as well to keep them occupied whilst you do feet etc.

Thinking about a sheep crush my friend made - the sheep or goat once in the frame is held by two upright metal bars that it's head goes through and it fastens on the neck - like some goat milking stands. The bars are on a pivot, have chains at the top which fasten over the ends of the frame at the front so you can accommodate different sizes. You could do this on a post and rail fence or adapt a gate. You just need a hole to put the head through and the two bars and something to fasten to.

The bars when open make a V and when closed to hold the sheep close together. They are on separate pivots slightly apart.

We borrowed it when we needed a ewe to take a lamb and it sits on the ground and the sheep stands on a board so it can't move the frame. For doing other jobs like feet you don't need the frame just the head holding idea.

Hope that made sense!?!?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS