Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newby from Meadow Farm Uckfield, Sussex  (Read 2536 times)

Pamela McLellan

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Uckfield, Sussex
  • meandewe
newby from Meadow Farm Uckfield, Sussex
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:00 pm »
Hi, Alan and I (Pamela) have had a smallholding for 4 years. Sorry cannot put a photo on, computer skills not up to it). We had Dexter cows, 16 pigs, sheep and chickens.
We have downsized a bit now and just have sheep 11 ewes, a ram and a wether, and we are lambing in February.
We had 34 lambs last year, but are only expecting about 22 lambs this year.
At a bit of a crossroads, want more animals but not sure which, maybe Sussex cows or Boer goats.
We only have 12 acres, so have tobe careful of the grass.
We don't live on the land (sadly), but have to travel 3.5 miles to get there. Not far, but it would be lovely to walk out of the back door on to the land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: newby from Meadow Farm Uckfield, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

We've got 12 acres here; about 9 of which is grass plus about 10 acres of rented grass nearby. We breed Coloured Ryeland sheep and Shetland cattle, about 100 laying hens plus two pigs each summer for the freezer. Plus fruit and veg for us and lots of weeds ::)

Look forward to seeing you on the forums.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:02:39 pm »
 :wave: :wave:

Hello from deepest darkest Wales!

I'm originally from down your way though - I grew up in Crowborough!

I'm still looking for our perfect place but very interested in getting Dexters eventually, How long did you have them? Did you find them easy to keep?

:cow:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:22:20 pm »
Hello & Welcome :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:45 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire. I grew up in Hastings so down your way.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:01 pm »
Hello from Devon :wave: I am about six miles from my land and know what you mean about having to travel (though we musn't complain, many would love to do the same!) but I long on a nasty day to nip out, do my animals and nip back (to bed ;D)  The best of luck with your venture :thumbsup:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:01:32 pm »
 :wave: Not far from you in Kent - we looked for houses in your neck of the woods too. Our land is our garden - 8 acres of it just a hop outside the door which is brilliant. No four legged creatures though - lots of poultry and two acres of newly planted vineyard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS