Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would a goose and gander keep away the fox?  (Read 10637 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Would a goose and gander keep away the fox?
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:50:11 am »
My local farmer keeps telling me to get one to stop fox attacks.... We had a mature active fox last year (Vlarg) who got too big for his own boots and was shot.  Since then we've been fox free but this week two have been taken by the fox IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.  The new foxes (and I'm sure it's two) seem immature and very thin.

My problem is, having the fox shot involves dealing with "Dave the Lamp".... 10 minutes with this man and you can feel the lifeblood seeping through your pours.  I did my duty last time (he likes someone to sit up with him) but Princess Nym (who posts on here) just CAN'T bring herself to do it.

I have a fox trap coming next weekend and until them the chooks stay in but long term... would Goosy Gander see him orf?  I've not kept geese before as you can probably tell!

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Would a goose and gander keep away the fox?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:31 am »
I have had a two geese taken by foxes, one a huge gander.  On the second occasion the fox even managed to break into the goose hut and drag one out.  It made a right mess of another, but luckily she survived.  Personally, I don't think geese are much good as fox deterrents.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:56:01 am »
We've had geese taken by a fox in the past when we only had a few. Our group of 14 Embdens seem to be able to look after themselves OK but they don't keep foxes away from anything else. We' lost a lot of chickens and ducks last year despite the geese being close by. I used to think that the pigs would deter foxes too but that has been proved untrue.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:44 am »
Goose is a fox's favourite food! Even a big gander is no match for a fox :( I would sit with your fox shooter by the hour to keep my poultry (and lambs) safe.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:11:42 am »
My pair were taken by the fox too. You wonder how foxy can get something that big over the fence and into the next field but he did. That's where OH found one goose, it was still alive but didn't make it through the night. Very distressing
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:04 am »
Really.... Dave the lamp is too much to ask!  I've got a fox trap coming at the weekend... I've seen two foxes snooping around, so it isn't an established territory.  One Chicken was taken Saturday at 1pm but it is possible the fox didn't know there were people around as usually there aren't and the chooks still roam... They are all in Stalag henhouse this week....

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:29:01 am »
Is Dave the Lamp really your only option?

What about Jim the torch from the next village over?  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:05 am »
Its one of these beasties you need. :excited:

a Rhea

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:30:01 am »
or a pair of donkeys or alpacas :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:42 am »
Electric netting (run off the mains, not battery) is fairly fox proof, plus a radio on nearby. Still need a good house for during the night though.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:34 am »
A Ouessant ram will keep foxes away (and you and the children etc ::))

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:46:00 pm »
Not sure if it's a coincidence or not but my horses smell seems to keep them away ,I've never had a fox out the back and heard doing a widdle keeps them away and the horses smell is stronger
Then again could be talking nonsense ,lol

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 07:54:55 am »
KC, send Dave the Lamp down here! I would willingly sit all night with him even if he stank like a badger and sang Sir Patrick Spens alnight!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS