Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fish  (Read 8294 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Fish
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:42:04 pm »
Anyone got edible fish in their pond?  If so, what kind do you keep?  And can you recommend a good sourc e of information abotu how to keep them...

Thanks,
Lynn

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Fish
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 04:37:14 pm »
I haven't but I've got plans  ;D . I have found this book useful : Small scale aquaculture by Van Gorder
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:12:40 pm »
Many thanks clydesdaleclopper!

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:13:36 am »
I used to keep common carp (to eat) together with some koi (for looking at), It was a big pond 8000gal but they will keep in much smaller ones.  Unless you have water running through your land or have a very low stocking rate you will need to really look into filters, they make all the difference when keeping any fish.
I was reading some really interesting stuff on Aquaponics (farming fish and filtering the water through a bed to grow edible plants).  I think it’s a pretty spectacular idea, once I’ve done the 101 other things on my list I’m going to have a crack at designing a system.  Lots of information on the internet and some stuff here http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/
As far as fish are concerned I think you are restricted to carp or trout in the UK, you could try perch which are good eating fish but I don’t think they grow too fast or that big.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »
Artscott if you want to borrow my aquaculture book it shows how to make your own system.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:15:31 pm »
Thanks, I would love to borrow it, but have so much other stuff to do before I can think about that.  I haven't even manage to get the poly tunnel up yet that I got last year.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »
I put a post on the Roundhouse suggesting a book day where we could meet up and get a look at everyone's favorites. If you would be interested pop a reply on there :thumbsup:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 08:34:28 pm »
Was thinking of asking a very similar question. We have a relatively large (I think) pond  but it is pretty murky and in summer has a lot of duck weed on it. We have lots of insects, damsel and dragonflies etc and a couple of moorhens that moved in last year and nested. Is there a guide to telling whether the water quality is good enough to support fish or do I just bung some carp in and if they float then it's not!?

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:24:17 pm »
Never done it my self but do know of a guy that sells pike carp and trout along with other species and can deliver as well

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 03:58:58 am »
I don't have a pond but I keep rainbow trout in two large tanks to eat.

I usually get 100 at a time, 50 during the really  warm weather.

I buy them in small and eat them as they grow then restock

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:32 pm »
Do you have a fresh stream water supply & out flow for the tanks or do you pump, filter,  and adjust ?

I've got a beady eye on the biggest Koi in our pumped & filtered pond  ( with plants ) it wont be long before it's 450 mm long . :yum:

This year has seen an explosion of fry and plenty from last year also carried through many of last years spawning are nearly 55 mm long.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 07:33:28 am »
Both tanks are mains fed with no filters although I have two pump heads running to help aereate the water.

I have a small inlet nozzle  just above the surface which aerates the water and an overflow which takes water from the bottom of the tank at the  opposite end out into the garden.

Bare tank system to help keep it clean.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:12:54 pm »
That's interesting are you chlorine free in your mains water  , if not how long do you let the water stand aireating before introducing your fish ?

When I lived in Southern Germany the local restaurant owner had fresh piped mountain stream water continually passing through his table fish tanks and then into & out of his main holding tanks /small fish farming area  that were 15 mtrs or more across .

Do you change 1/3 of the tank's water every 10 days or so , to dilute the pollutants produced from the fishes  decaying waste matter  ?

Do you net the fish or go fishing for them with hook and bait or a  fly ? 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 08:44:38 am »
Nope direct from the mains so it does have chlorine in it.

I run the water into it every evening so its virtually fresh water every day

I net them, the tanks are only around 3 feet deep and hold roughly 1000 litres, same as an IBC
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:32:50 am by Clansman »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 01:33:56 pm »
Thanks ,
Do you fancy running a thread  telling us all a lot more .
It's an area many folks could benefit from with someone who has hands on knowledge giving a run through.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS