Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone selling milk near Hants/Berks border?  (Read 2072 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Anyone selling milk near Hants/Berks border?
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:32:08 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for a local dairy to buy milk from so I can avoid the supermarket. It's just for family use.

Any local smallholders selling milk? Raw is fine.

Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Anyone selling milk near Hants/Berks border?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:23:16 pm »
I was told by a local dairy farmer that they are not allowed to sell raw milk. I assume he knows what he is talking about.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:25:34 pm »
I thought you could sell raw milk in England - green top. It's certainly illegal in Scotland.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:26:04 pm »
Ah, that may be the case. I am in Wales and its illegal here.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »
English farms can sell raw milk direct to the consumer provided they comply with very stringent health  / processing regulations.  It is not so easy to buy, therefore.

Helen Browning's Organic farms are near Swindon.  Looking at their website, their milk goes to Berkeley Farms, who do not homogenise.  It looks as though they have a farm shop. 

Otherwise, I'd ask around at the Farmers' Market at Marlborough or similar.  Someone will know of a dairy farm that sells their milk locally, in addition to Helen Browning.  (Bishopstone Cheese uses her milk, or at least it used to when I was down there, and sells at Marlborough.)  Hungerford might be a better bet?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:11:20 am »
I know you can buy raw jersey milk down here from a jersey dairy farm. It is packed in cartons
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS