Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: duck egg prices  (Read 8199 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
duck egg prices
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:20:42 pm »
what are you charging for yours? My two muscovy hens are laying up a storm and I only sell to friends so just wanted an idea. I sell hens eggs for £1.20.

Is there much of a market for muscovy hatching eggs? Mine are barred black and white so not unusual although both hens are very pretty.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: duck egg prices
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:08 pm »
I sell chicken eggs for £1.30 and duck eggs for £1.50. I struggle with the duck eggs to be honest - not because of the price but just because of preconceptions about duck eggs 'oh, I'm not going to bake with them' or just a general suspicion.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:37:55 pm »
thanks, people are weird :) they make the best omelettes! I was surprised at how not-heavy the muscovy eggs are. I am only selling to a couple of people-quite happy to eat them myself or sell as hatching eggs if I can.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:58 pm »
£2 for Chicken
£2 for Quail
£3 for Duck

Muscovy hatching eggs will sell well, seem to be fetching £6-12   per half dozen on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=muscovy+egg&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:23:00 pm »
Clansman are you prices per dozen or half dozen? You're beating Waitrose on those prices if they're per half dozen which is impressive!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 03:38:02 pm »
mine are selling for £1.80 per half doz  in the local community shop (they are quite large)  ...  but yes it is amazing how short sighted some people are about duck eggs  ... yes some have stronger tastes but my KC's don't some people wont even try them!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 04:06:26 pm »
Backinwellies - I had a colleague who used to cheerfully buy hens eggs from me, but refused to take duck eggs "because they came out of a duck's bum!"  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:12:50 pm »
Backinwellies - I had a colleague who used to cheerfully buy hens eggs from me, but refused to take duck eggs "because they came out of a duck's bum!"  ???

:roflanim:   :roflanim:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »
Clansman are you prices per dozen or half dozen? You're beating Waitrose on those prices if they're per half dozen which is impressive!

Per dozen  ;D

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »
We used to sell duck and chicken eggs on the market for £1.50 for 6. The duck eggs struggled a bit because people are scared to try something different to what they're used to. People who know about them can't get enough. A big farm shop not too far fro here sells duck eggs for £2.99 for 6 which I think is taking the mickey to be honest.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 10:59:47 am »
Around here duck eggs sell for £3 a dozen. That's if you can get them as they are snapped up straight away. Hen eggs between £2 & 2.50 dzn
I prefer duck eggs
Graham

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 04:24:55 pm »
£ 1.50 for half/dozen here

best omelettes, best quiches, best pancakes, best cakes! :&> :&> :&> :&>

polaris

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »
I'm looking for fertile Muscovy eggs (been looking since last season!) if anyone wants to sell me some please give me a price for a dozen plus postage!

Or anyone with birds to sell that could meet me in Glasgow would be incredibly welcome.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 02:26:21 pm »
I sell duck eggs to work friends for £1.50 half a dozen, is definitely not the demand that there is for chicken though.
________
Caroline

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 07:05:15 pm »
I'm looking for fertile Muscovy eggs (been looking since last season!) if anyone wants to sell me some please give me a price for a dozen plus postage!

Or anyone with birds to sell that could meet me in Glasgow would be incredibly welcome.

I have pm'd you Polaris.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS