Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly pig update  (Read 5163 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Poorly pig update
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:37:11 pm »
Little Doreen is still ill, very lethargic and not interested in food or anything much.  Vet is at a complete loss, she has been given antibiotics just in case although no identifable signs of infection, still passing some poo (not much, but she isn't eating much) and urinating, no temperature, but slow, stiff and very tucked up.  Not enjoying being touched, which is out of character.  Blood tests have showed up nothing.  She is wormed and has been treated with Combivit in case of a deficiency, although this maybe has not had time to have an effect yet.  No other pigs are ill.

Feeling really hopeless, all ideas and suggestions very much appreciated.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Poorly pig update
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:26:10 pm »
Hypocalcaemia?

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:38:05 am »
Our first and much loved Tamworth sow became mysteriously ill out of the blue one day, stopped eating but drank a little, got thinner and thinner and more immobile, and within 10 days or so got to the point where she could no longer walk at all, having spent the three days before that heaving herself round in a sitting position with her front legs only.  She had no temperature either, the vet had no idea what was wrong and there was no response to antibiotics.   Eventually we had to take the agonising decision to have her put down. It was so awful we asked for a post mortem, and it transpired she had developed a spinal abscess about half way down her spine, from which there would have been no chance of recovery had we known she had it.   How it happened will forever remain a mystery, as there had been no incidents, trauma, bites, scratches or breaks in her skin.   Don't want to scare you, and whatever little Doreen is suffering from is probably something entirely different, but thought I'd let you know the dreadful experience we went through.   Do hope from the bottom of my heart your pig gets better  :fc: :fc: :fc:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 09:55:27 am »
Poor old pig :(  I hesitate to suggest (again) my Uncle Johnny's remedy for a poorly pig but it can't do any harm. A one pint bottle of real ale (Hobgoblin, Bishops Finger or such) diluted with as much warm water. They usually gulp it down and, hopefully start eating :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:33:30 am »
Nothing helpful to say but sending {{{hugs}}}

Have you messaged Karen?  She may be able to think of something, and/or she may be able to do some Reiki if you send her a pic - again, can't hurt.

Fingers crossed for Little Doreen  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:59:31 am »
 :fc: that she gets better.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:54:10 am »
slow, stiff and very tucked up. .

Osteochondrosis?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:49 pm »
Sorry she is not better, it can feel really desperate when one is unable to help and no-one really knows what's wrong.

I have no pig experience so can't really add much of real value but have you tried injectable vitamin B12 to perk up her appetite? It helps with sheep, and it won't do any harm (to sheep at least, better check about pigs) so maybe worth trying?

Sending hugs for you and Doreen...  :hug:  :hug:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:29:10 pm »
Thanks everyone, I spoke to Karen on the phone last night, the only of the above things we haven't considered/treated is osteochondrosis so away to research that now.  She quite likes the ale, but it doesn't seemed to have improved her interest in other foods despite me trying all sorts to tempt her.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 04:42:41 pm »
She has just eaten half a punnet of grapes, trying not to get excited but she did look like she was enjoying them.  Still looking generally miserabl, though.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 04:45:50 pm »
Is there any chance she is pregnant? (was she running with any of her brothers?)
A shot of metacam might help if she's in pain - you should see a difference quite quickly if it is this.
Is she out in the field or inside?
I'll send Reiki for little Doreen, it can't do any harm.
It might be worth speaking to Bob Stevenson (BPA vet advisor and pig guru) I'll see if I can get his number for you  ;)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 05:58:00 pm »
Is there any chance she is pregnant? (was she running with any of her brothers?)
A shot of metacam might help if she's in pain - you should see a difference quite quickly if it is this.
Is she out in the field or inside?
I'll send Reiki for little Doreen, it can't do any harm.
It might be worth speaking to Bob Stevenson (BPA vet advisor and pig guru) I'll see if I can get his number for you  ;)

No, no chance she is pregant, when they were weaned at 8 weeks, she went straight in with Delilah as we knew were were keeping her, whereas the ones we were fattening were kept together in a totally different area, so she hasn't been anywhere near boys since July when she was still a tiny baby.
She has had 2 jabs of Metacam, seemed to help a wee bit but not much.
She was outdoors with access to a shed, which she wasn't leaving, so we brought her inside yesterday.
Bob's number would be brilliant, thank you, as would Reiki.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 09:20:40 pm »
Am guessing Karen may have a direct number for Bob which would be better, but I am lucky enough to live near the vets practice he gets called in for pig consultancy type work  (and trained the others there who I have benefitted from). So I'm sure they would have contact details for him - they're called Usk Vets in South Wales - telephone number 01291 672637. Hope Doreen improves - horrible to not know what to do for the best.
Martha R

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »
Try flushing with a litre of any vegetable oil fed by bottle or tube and then as has been suggested beer or beer ullage 50/50 with water.  The low alcohol concentration clears or suppresses many digestive tract bugs including non bacterials such as Amoeba.

I would mix diatomous earth and a little salt in the liquid to aid with rehydration.

Pigs do suffer from manky illnesses not always evident as they cannot describe symptoms so treating to clear any likely issues is the best starting point.  Be aggressive and always follow above advice at first sign of suppressed appetite.

Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS