Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Supermarket chicken prices  (Read 11937 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Supermarket chicken prices
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 06:02:11 pm »
I made a point of looking at chicken in Aldi today-Scottish free range (and I think they are the only store to offer this since Hook 2 Sisters pulled out?) were £7-8. Normal chicken was about £4-5 for a large one.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:19:52 pm »

these birds in their short life will have eaten around 4Kg of feed each.

I know some of the large commercial broiler farms are currently paying £500 per tonne for feed so each bird is eating roughly £2 worth of feed.

We pay £136 for 907 kg which I believe is a ton
Our hens take approx. 7kg in 8 weeks @ 15/16p per Kg = £1.05- £1.12

Smudge.casper

• Joined Dec 2014
  • here, there and everywhere but mainly Scotland
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 10:19:13 pm »
Are your sums correct?
A imperial ton is or was 2240lbs a metric ton ( which we are saddled with ) is 1000kg.       

regards
smudge.casper                                     

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 10:49:07 pm »

these birds in their short life will have eaten around 4Kg of feed each.

I know some of the large commercial broiler farms are currently paying £500 per tonne for feed so each bird is eating roughly £2 worth of feed.

We pay £136 for 907 kg which I believe is a ton
Our hens take approx. 7kg in 8 weeks @ 15/16p per Kg = £1.05- £1.12

Doesn't sound correct Andy, i couldn't buy whole grain anywhere close to that price nevermind a milled broiler feed.

1000 Kg = 1 tonne

907 Kg = 1 old short ton

Smudge.casper

• Joined Dec 2014
  • here, there and everywhere but mainly Scotland
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 11:05:56 pm »
wrong one short ton (us) is 2000 pounds
1 long ton (uk) is 2240 pounds
1 metric ton is 2204.62262 pounds

it makes a difference to both buyer and seller

regards
smudge.casper

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 01:36:54 am »
No it was the right one. :D

Short ton is indeed 2000lbs

2000lbs =  907Kg

Dunno why Andy is working with short tons though.

polaris

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 02:13:19 pm »
I made a point of looking at chicken in Aldi today-Scottish free range (and I think they are the only store to offer this since Hook 2 Sisters pulled out?) were £7-8. Normal chicken was about £4-5 for a large one.

I tend to buy these, they have been regularly commented on. We raise our own mostly but sometimes if we've run short or I haven't time for defrosting/need quick etc I pick them up. I've seen them a few times 2 for £15, which if you can trust the label isn't bad for the size and quality. Since we started raising our own I've lost touch with supermarket prices a little :/ and tbh I grudge paying it even more as I look at the price and think "that's a bag of feed right there" XD

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 03:16:43 pm »
The cost 3 chickins £10 for 3 the bit I don't get the christmas sales perth 18 cock birds dressed £15 to £20 each people going mad for these birds .Dad said to get a terkey in the old days would be 5 weeks wagies a chickin £5 to £10 pound .So why dont people do more . Cheaper feed the pork is next a leg of pork £5 pound asda.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 06:22:15 pm »
I'm just so glad we hardly ever have to buy supermarket meat. as others have said food now is such a low percentage of weekly budget- its got to be when there's an I pad or phone or pod or cinema style tv to pay for first. angers me when most children seems to have a mobile phone yet we're sposed to believe that genuine poverty still exists in this country. the worlds gone mad. all I can think when I hear of a £2 chicken is what conditions that "unit" has lived in. it seems so recent that cookery programmes and Jamie and hugh fw woke us up to the reality of food production and it seemed things would change for better. seems the majority don't give a stuff. we now sell our lamb for £20 less a half than we did a couple of years ago- just to get some cash back but not covering costs or anywhere near, thank god its our hobby and we get to eat properly raised food. damn aldi  damn lidls and morrisons and the other vultures happy to sell any old crap, that has lived and died in misery and leaving us believing that milk and meat are little better than waste products and the people who produce it matter not- that feels better :huff:e

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 06:33:01 pm »
Well said pay more get better qwalatey food

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 09:59:22 am »
all I can think when I hear of a £2 chicken is what conditions that "unit" has lived in.

damn aldi  damn lidls and morrisons and the other vultures happy to sell any old crap, that has lived and died in misery

If these are indeed UK grown birds then they will have been reared under some of the strictest and most stringent welfare conditions seen anywhere in the world.

The issue of it being a £2 chicken or a £6 chicken is completely irrelevant to the welfare conditions they will be kept in.

Whether you pay £2 or £6 for it will have no bearing on how it was reared.

We in the UK are on a different level compared to most other countries around the world in terms of welfare.

These birds are certainly not "any old crap" living in poor conditions, neither have they lived and died in misery.

The supermarkets you mentioned, Aldi, Lidl and Morrisons again all work to the highest possible welfare standards found anywhere in the world.

What is happening here is a price war on chicken (and other things) between the major supermarkets.

None of them will be making any profit from this, actually they may well be, its probably the producer that is taking the financial hit just now.

Either way, they are currently selling them as loss leaders, at a low price to steal customers from other supermarkets, they are not dropping the welfare standards to reduce the costs.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 06:02:40 pm »
Morrisons naw own 4 farms in the north of scotland

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 01:50:35 am »
One of those occasions when I guess Clansman we'll just have to agree to disagree. My day job brings me into contact with food producers and farmers every day and welfare costs- simple as

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 09:45:18 am »
My day job brings me into contact with pilots but I know nothing about flying a plane  ;D

Are these food producers and farmers you know deliberately cutting back on their welfare standards to save costs then?

Who are they producing their goods for?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:57:32 am by Clansman »

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 03:06:24 pm »
My day job brings me into contact with pilots but I know nothing about flying a plane  ;D

:thinking: oo now I feel told. Fair play to you :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS