Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buffs for warmth  (Read 6219 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Buffs for warmth
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:06:35 pm »
I'm sure I saw a post of someone recommending buffs for warmth. I hauled mine out of storage today and had someone mention "buff tricks" to me today - I've since found this - I feel I need a polar buff now :D but this may be useful someone else too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewVEK-AElDY

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Buffs for warmth
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 12:11:35 am »
Me and Fleecewife have been discussing Buffs, and in particular the Polar Buff, for keeping one's nose warm outdoors in British winters. 

Love the vid - would need to watch it again to do any of the moves, though!   :D  My Polar Buff came with a card showing all the moves diagrammatically; I did try most of 'em but have ended up using it 'my way'(s) ;)

The vid makes it look like a 'cool' product.  It always makes me laugh when I find I am using / wearing something that's supposedly 'cool'.   :roflanim: 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:50 am »
Yes, great idea.  I sent off for a second one today.  Well, actually 3 second ones, for me, Mr F and eldest grandson who cycles.  I did also buy a polar buff but mine is completely lined with fleece and strangles me a bit, so Mr F has that too.
The original Buff is surprisingly warm, even just worn around the neck to stop giraffes getting down  ;D.  Otherwise I pull up the front over my nose and it's as warm as a thick scarf, but not so restrictive.

Disclaimer:  I have no commercial interest in this product (though maybe they'll give me 50% off....)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:59 am »
I was given mine as a present and thought it was a bit of a useless thing, but wore it today for another layer, and now I've practised the vid a few (hundred) times, I have just ordered a second polar one :)

I guess they are a bit marmite-y but I'm sold :) I'm also laughing at the cool factor as I am so not cool too

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:16:48 am »
Love them! I do the bandanna / pirate hat thing cos I've got a baldy heid, even though Rosemary laughs at me. Also great under a cycle helmet when cold.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:30:57 am »
Goodness, I'm going to have to watch the video...'Buff' means something entirely different in this part of the world and it wouldn't be keeping me warm.....and I won't be doing the sheep in it!
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:45:23 am »
Never quite got to grips with mine but after watching this I'm going to have to hunt it out, I generally wear woolly hats but my head often gets too warm then I take it off and lay it down only to find it being chewed by a goat.  :goat:
Anne

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 12:26:02 pm »
Have watched the video....the 'snood' that I have had for years is a polar buff! It's brilliant, wouldn't be without it.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »
I wear a buff all the time (not in bed though) in winter. I don't wear anything on my head as I get too hot but I do sometimes pull the buff up over my mouth nose and ears.

Dan sometimes wears his as a kind of pirate hat, which makes me laugh. Every time.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:41:21 pm »
Goodness, I'm going to have to watch the video...'Buff' means something entirely different in this part of the world and it wouldn't be keeping me warm.....and I won't be doing the sheep in it!

It does here too, as 'in the buff'.  I think it's a trade name though and doesn't mean you have to wear nothing else  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 10:16:56 pm »

It does here too, as 'in the buff'.  I think it's a trade name though and doesn't mean you have to wear nothing else  ;D

That's a relief. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the name.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:48:25 pm »
I have seen folks wearing them but not till I read the post and watched the video did I know they were called buffs every days a school day. Don't know if I would wear one.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 07:19:55 am »
excellent video, I got one years ago and I remember my friend and I sitting with the instructions trying out all the 'ways' to wear it

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 02:16:59 pm »
Thanks for sharing the video. I wear mine almost 24/7 at this time of year when I watched the video I realised I have used it in almost all the combinations but more by accident than intention! Although i do have an original 'buff' I have picked up a couple of imitations from ALDI over the last few years too - they seem very similar in design and work just as well but are beginning to look a bit faded after many washes.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 03:19:47 pm »
Guys, I'm sorry, but this just isn't working. Some bits of my buffs are admittedly soft and fluffy, but other bits are decidedly scratchy, and I can never get them to stay around my neck for very long.

What am I doing wrong? Do you think Velcro would help?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS