Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel behaviour  (Read 4780 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Cockerel behaviour
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:29:28 am »
Hi folks,

We've recently 'rescued' a cockerel called Michael (long story) so I'm new to having a chap around with the ladies. No bother so far, he's quite gentlemanly, not aggressive or flighty and they all seem to get on fine. He's been covering them too, so all good there.

They are in a run about 25m square, there are four hens and Michael and they are let out to free range quite a bit. They put themselves to bed and are not shut away (enclosure shut, hut door stays open). It's a high enclosure with tucked under caging and I've never seen a fox, so lucky so far.  Thing is, Michael doesn't sleep with the girls in the hut, he likes it up the oak tree in the corner of the run. I'm worried he's going to get cold when it's -5 like it was the other night. Is it normal for him to sleep separately or is that he just doesn't want to squeeze into the hut with the others? He is a big Sussex and there is not a lot of room for him. He can go in an egloo which was in there to separate him when he arrived, but he's not keen.

I'm considering getting a bigger hut for them but don't want to splash the cash if he is going to be a lone sleeper anyway!

Anyone got an opinion?
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Cockerel behaviour
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:07:08 am »
Wet is more of a problem than cold, they can cope with fairly low temps aside from potential issues with frostbite on the comb so keep an eye on that. If you've provided housing and are confident there is enough room then it's really up to him. You could try putting him in after dark a few times to see if he takes to it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:15 am »
I agree, he may be used to sleeping outside and up a tree but if tucked in beside his girls a night or so may well think that's better :fc:

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:35:35 pm »
Interesting, means I'll have to get him out the tree after the girls are in bed! Will give it a try.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:48:21 pm »
Or catch him with a fisherman's landing net before he gets up the tree  :chook: :tree:

We have found that the longer you leave a hen or cockerel roosting outside, the more difficult it will be to train them to come in.  Also the more vulnerable they are to various predators as they tend to hop down to the ground very early, before it's fully light, and the night predators are still around.

It sounds as if your current house is too small and perhaps the hens are ganging up on Michael in the mornings.  They like to be squashed up close at night, but then need a bit of personal space in the mornings.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:51:32 pm »
I suggest tempting them all into the henhouse by scattering corn inside and then shutting them in for the night.  Cockerels that have been caught with a net may never forgive the indignity.  Are there perches in the henhouse?  He may have got used to perching high up in previous quarters.  My neighbour has just lost a set of Sebrights that roosted in a big conifer - they came down to feed at dawn and the fox patrol got them.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 07:23:06 am »
Well, I went out all kitted up for a catching session. He was already up the tree, about 10 feet up. No joke, I climbed the tree, tucked him under my arm, climbed down with one arm and shut him in the egglu for the night! He was good as gold! I was very shocked.

We've got a plan to extend the hut this weekend, then I'll try shutting him up with the girls at night. He's been totally free ranging in his previous home (was attacked by a dog hence the rescue) so he's probably used to outdoor roosting.

Thanks all

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:01 am »
Climbing up the tree was not an option I'd thought of  :roflanim:  I love it  :trophy:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 10:13:28 am »
All of our cockerels jump off their perches in the early morning, flap their wings and doodle. If he hasn't got room to do that and tries, one of the hens may get injured or he may damage his wings? So a bigger coop would be a priority item.

Catching chickens in a landing net is definitely a last resort. It terrifies them and they can be injured in the struggle. We have a landing net for emergency use and have used it once in 5 years.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »
Yes, I don't have a net and didn't want to distress him in any way. He's a really calm cockerel and I don't want to start him getting scared of us. If he hadn't have come quietly I'd have had to leave him and change plan. We'll either modify the existing hut or get a new one ASAP.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS