Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What variety of Brussel Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland sprout is best  (Read 3714 times)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Has anyone got a recommendation for variety of Brussel sprout.  I’ve had failures the last two years, plants grew well but sprouts were small and blown.  Soil is good loam, plenty of good home made compost, limed to bring PH up a bit.  The other brassica’s do well, fantastic cabbages, kale and Kohl rabbi, it just seems to be the sprouts that fail. Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What variety of Brussel Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland sprout is best
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:47 am »
We're not as far North as you (Carnoustie) but same coast; we had great results last year with Trafalgar. Will check what we used this year - they aren't as good as last year though.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:59:52 am »
I am trying Sanda from the Real Seed Company this year, have tried several varieties from Organic Catalogue before - always just got tiny sprouts (or the pigeons got in... >:(), so will see. Same otherwise here, can grow good kale, PSB and savoy cabbages, but not sprouts.

Also trying Sutherland kale from Real Seed Company this year..

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:18:22 am »
If your sprouts are blowing could it be that they aren't firm enough in the ground? It might pay to firm them in with a heavy boot when planting and whilst growing and even, if you have a windy site, to stake them! They will blow if they are rocking in the wind.

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:33:16 pm »
I think I will try Trafalgar next year.  I do like the seeds from the Real Seed Co but after two years of just eating the tops I think I'll go for an F1 seed.

I do firm them in well with my heavy boot (too much good home gown food), but as my patch is pretty exposed I will take your advice and stake them this year also.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:29:24 pm »
 :fc:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 01:19:17 am »
Short stalk sprouts are good for exposed sites . not all years are good for sprouts across the UK they like a long cool damp growing season any weeks of too much rain , too much sun or not enough knock them back or cause then to race ahead & blow .

" Bedford Basket Fill " , used to be a real quality sweet medium stalk sprout growing to about 30" tall that had quality tight ball head sprouts . The tops were also a very useful  green as winter turned into spring , they also stood minus 15 oC for weeks at a time which I think was due to the high sugar content of the plant in general  .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:51:54 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:14 pm »
We are up your way in the frozen North near Inverurie :)

I have had success with a variety that very aptly is called Doric. Really strong roots so good for more exposed ground. Last year was not a great season for them but the year before we had a bumper crop.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:08:37 pm by greengumbo »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS