Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cattle breed ID  (Read 2279 times)

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
Cattle breed ID
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:27 pm »
Hello, I posted some similar ID photos in the sheep section  :sheep: and now I have a bull  :cow: that needs IDing!

I've been looking through some old photos of the family farm - we've been in south Wiltshire (near Salisbury) for a few generations.  I came across this photo of a bull - I believe it was taken in 1930s/40s or early 1950s.  Although it's a black and white photo, I get the impression that maybe the bull is red in colour?  Could it be a Red Poll bull?  I've no idea what cattle were popular back then in Wiltshire.

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
Re: Cattle breed ID
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 11:28:54 pm »
he looks like a ruby red bull

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:07:56 am »
I don't think it's a North Devon (now also known as Red Ruby or Red Devon) - I don't think they would have been polled back then, they'd still have been triple-purpose wouldn't they?, so would all have been horned.  Breeding polled is a recent (and not always popular) innovation in this breed, I think.

It's very hard to ID stock going back that far - shapes and even colours have changed so much over those decades.

If you could get hold of some local newspapers from the time, and look at the livestock auction results, that will give you an idea of what breeds were in favour at the time.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:16:23 am »
 :wave: my guess would be red poll

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:16:30 pm »
RED POLL would be my guess, they originated in Norfolk and Suffolk so in the right area , dark solid red with a curly top knot , and one of the few non horned cattle at that time .

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »
Having done a bit of research it seems that there were red poll in Wiltshire and near by Hampshire at that time.

For example, this photo of some red poll was taken in 1944 on a farm I'm familiar with which is less than 20 miles away from us.  http://www.reading.ac.uk/adlib/images/FS/PH1/K28745.jpg

The Museum of English Rural Life has a great image library, some quick searches today bought up lots of interesting old photos from my local area...everyone should give it a go!
http://www.reading.ac.uk/merl/collections/merl-imagelibrary.aspx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS