Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Homemade wool duvet?  (Read 12750 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Homemade wool duvet?
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:41:24 pm »
I was just reading the coffee lounge thread on duvets, and it seems lots of you really like your wool duvets.

We have quite a decent supply of wool here  :innocent: that we really don't know what to do with, since neither us can  :spin: or  :knit: . However, I do happen to own an industrial sewing machine!

It's just a whim at the moment, but I like the thought of being able to snuggle up at night under our own sheep ( :o ). Can anyone tell me what I'd have to do to the wool to get it duvet-able?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Homemade wool duvet?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:32:53 am »
I had those thoughts after removing the bats from drum carder..... But I think you might need bigger bats (slabs of carded wool ).  You could try.... So washed, carded then tacked to a dense cotton. Does wooly val come on here anymore? She knows all about big bats

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:12:36 am »
I'm not a quilter, but it seems to be that big batts stitched into a cover (to keep them in place) would be a quilt?  I don't know if quiltycats still lurks, but she'd be able to tell us a lot more about that.  Do we have other quilters?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:16:24 am »

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:52:05 pm »
Delurking  thanks to summons from Sally..

Once wool is scoured ..which is a whole other question...

Basically.................it depends what you are aiming for.

Wool batting as used by quilters is a semi-felted product, needle felted basically. Large machines for needle felting large bats can actually be found at Winghams. They have a rate for using them on site iirc. The far less expensive and rather more home made approach though can come in one or two forms.

1st style. Old english style of making quilts. These were not the pretty fabrics sewn together style that developed into what we think of as quilting now. the Duvet style is a sewn collection of separate pockets. Literally sewing small pillows of stuffed fabric together. by hand sewing individual pockets each independant pocket can if needs be be replaced or mended or refilled in the even of any nasty clumping of fiber over time..Produces a duvet.

2nd style and probably the way most would approach it, several layers of carded fiber laid at right angles to each other until a large enough and dense enough area is achieved, even hand carders, with enough layers/overlapping will produce a workable batting (batting being the quilting term as opposed to bats, the spinning term) . Gradually producing enough that when layered into a fabric stuffing fabric sandwich produces a quilt.  It is important to remember that the stuffing will take up area, so leave plenty of margin for completing your quilt. Similar to making a whole cloth quilt. A good 6 inches all round.

Also, as with any quilting, over time the batting will shift. like modern hollow fiber duvets the stuffing would gravitate into dips and hollows. Quilting..the actual hand stitching of decorative patterns on fabric batting fabric sandwiches aims to minimise that shift in the stuffing fibers. Modern factory produced quilt batting will tell the quilter the maximum distance of any quilting design. 

For the non quilter, my suggestion would be a mix of both methods. by making a thick layer of carded fiber, as evenly distributed as possible. Making linear pockets and a batting wide enough to fill each. Your batting should be approximately 1-2 inches in depth for loft, unless you want a particularly heavy quilt. Remember the fiber will settle and compact over time.

IE ..Lay 2 fabric layers each with a 6 inch margin wrong sides together, Machine sew a vertical centre line before adding 8-10 inch width of home made batting, sew a second vertical line that catches all three layers and becomes the edge of the next pocket. Working from the centre to the outside edge to create the desired number of pockets. When vertical pockets are completed over sew through all 3 layers, at right angles to make the square shapes we associate with duvets. For belt and braces, tieing stitches in each pocket. Think a big tacking stitch that is then tied to secure the fibers from shifting too much.

The more you stabilize the fiber the longer the duvet will last. So a little needle felting of each batt would be worth while .  The limiting factor in any such venture is going to be the throat of a household sewing machine, so it is worth working from the centre out towards the edge of the duvet. Remember too that wool is both heavy and warm.

When it comes to washing you are going to want to avoid felting the fibers in your duvet. So wash as if your most precious cashmere jumper was in a huge pillowcase. Washing is not something I'd want to be doing to a home made wool duvet very often. You really want to be treating these in much the same way our Edwardian great grandmothers treated duck down comforters. In many respects you are making the same thing.

One final quilting method that might be worth giving a thought to is a form of Trapunto, I originally knew it as Spanish Quilting but have no idea if thats a common name. Again pockets are sewn and then stuffed with the equivalent of the fattest wool roving/lightly spun fat yarn, you can produce. here you would be aiming at a very decorative pattern of pockets, tramlines that then get stuffed through small holes in the bottom layer, before a further final layer is added to cover those holes.

I hope this helps and is legible.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:43:36 am »
Gosh, QC, I had no idea how big a question I was asking!  Thank you so much for sharing some of your knowledge   :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 02:39:47 pm »
Quiltycats - thankyou so much for the info!  That's way more use than anything I've been able to find online, or by looking through my Gran's old book catalogue!  :thumbsup:

The concept sounds easy enough - certainly easier than working with down, which I've done before (the whole house looked like the inside of a snowglobe by the time I'd finished, even though I did the main work inside a tent in the living room, and hoovered myself in and out each time!).  A whole duvet sounds a bit daunting though. I think I'll aim for a cat bed to test the process, and then see how we go from there!

Sally - thankyou for waking up a sleeping quiltycat for me too  ;) .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 02:50:30 pm »
 This is all very interesting and sounds a great way of using wool for those of us that aren't into spinning.
 However  . . . .  I took Wombles query to be the same as mine, which is - where does one start when all one has is a number of unwashed fleeces?  :thinking: Those brilliant descriptions all seem to start with the fleece  processed into useable bats. I'd never heard of them before and thought at first that winged mammals had taken over the fleeces. :dunce:
 How do we get that far?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 02:59:20 pm »
Great idea to start with a cat bed, Womble  :thumbsup:.  I look forward to hearing how you get on!

This is all very interesting and sounds a great way of using wool for those of us that aren't into spinning.
 However  . . . .  I took Wombles query to be the same as mine, which is - where does one start when all one has is a number of unwashed fleeces?  :thinking: Those brilliant descriptions all seem to start with the fleece  processed into useable bats. I'd never heard of them before and thought at first that winged mammals had taken over the fleeces. :dunce:
 How do we get that far?

I wrote up about washing fleece on the other thread

The next bit is carding.  For small amounts, if you don't know a spinner or felter who can let you have some hand cards or a drum carder to try, you can use two flat dog 'slicker' brushes as hand cards.  Plenty of good YouTube  videos, this one by Ashford is a good starter one.  To use for quilting you won't want to roll it up into a rolag, so just lift it off when you get to that point.  (Unless QC comes back on with alternative advice.)

If you can get the use of a drum carder, again the Ashford video is a good place to start.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 05:46:54 pm »
Thankyou. This is an absolutely FANTASTIC thread.  :thumbsup: :excited:

I am just about to start my second quilt and want to use carded wool from our sheep as the batting.

My first quilt I used an old blanket being chucked out of my aunt-in-law's and upcycled it into a nice - if simple - quilt. My send quilt has slightly more ambitious piecing and I really wanted to use our wool for the sandwich stuffing.

I the past I have washed fleece on the wool wash in our machine and it turns out fine. This is the PERFECT excuse to buy a Big Tom carding machine ;D :love:

THANKYOU  :hug:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 09:15:39 am »
That sounds exciting. Let us know how you get on with it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 03:17:18 pm »
If you're going to buy expensive kit, can I come and play too. :innocent: :D

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »
 How do we get that far?

Once your fleeces are scoured ..ie hot hot wash as per other thread ..then without any equipment style 1 above only requires fluffing up, teasing and generally making clouds out of handfuls of  fleece.  The minimum processing you need for the others is carding and as Sally suggested not going on to make rolags. just lift the carded fibers off in a small sheet. . Obviously you can go techy and use any equipment your heart desires and pocket can fund, but as our more distant ancestors managed just fine with out I think we can just about do also if we need to :)

Glad my wordy post was helpful, don't be daunted Harrods might not want to sell the product of your labour but I am willing to bet it will be loved anyway  :thumbsup:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 07:53:09 pm »
I teach workshops for people who want to learn how to weave on a peg loom. I weave my ryeland fleece after soaking the dirt out and semi felting it by washing it in the washing machine. I weave rugs, seat pads, throws, scarves etc and also needle felt my fleece. I weave with processed yarn too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 08:39:09 pm »
I do needle felting as well. I've just started on animals but the first one wasn't the good. Alright, it was awful.

I used to weave similar rugs on a big table loom using unwashed, carded wool. They were one of my best sellers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS