Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roostock for medlar?  (Read 2228 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Roostock for medlar?
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:17:46 pm »
Hello,

Anyone knoe what rootstock you use for grafting medlar, or even if it's possible?  Anyone tried it before?  I have a lovely old medlar tree, never grafted before, but have a very young apple orchard. I'd like to put a few medlar in with the apples.

Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Roostock for medlar?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:33:51 pm »
You can graft them onto hawthorn
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:12:30 pm »
I got this from the Keepers nursery website about the root stocks they use for Medlar (clearly Mesiplus is not very informative - I've never heard of it before either so might have a quick google later):

Rootstocks

Fruit trees are propagated onto rootstocks. The rootstock is the most important factor in determining the vigour and eventual size of the tree. The choice of rootstock is therefore very important as it will determine the suitability of the tree for the position and the form in which you intend to grow it. Please find below a list of rootstocks and their characteristics. 

Medlar:  Quince C  (Dwarfing ) 
Requirements Good fertile soil. Ground should be clear of weeds and grass. Stake for at least the first 5 years and preferably permanently.
Mature height 8-10ft (2.4-3m) 
Spread 9ft (2.7m) 
Planting distance 9ft (2.7m) apart, 12ft (3.6m) between rows
Mature yield 
Bearing age 3/4 years 
Suitable forms Bush, pyramid, centre leader, cordon, espalier

Medlar:  Mespilus  () 
Requirements 
Mature height 
Spread 
Planting distance 
Mature yield 
Bearing age 
Suitable forms

Medlar:  Quince A  (Semi-dwarfing ) 
Requirements Suitable for a wide range of soils including relatively poor soils. Stake for the first 5 years.
Mature height 10-12ft (3-3.6m ) 
Spread 12ft (3.6m) 
Planting distance 12ft (3.6m) apart, 15ft (4.5m) between rows
Mature yield 
Bearing age 4/5 years 
Suitable forms Suitable Forms: Half standard, bush, cordon, espalier, container

Medlar:  Pyrodwarf  (Semi-vigorous ) 
Requirements A new relatively dwarfing pear rootstock. Can be used for most soil conditions including relatively poor soil and grassed orchards. Stake for the first 5 years.
Mature height Ove 15ft (4.5m) 
Spread 15ft (4.5m) 
Planting distance 15ft (4.5m) apart, 20ft (6m) between rows
Mature yield 
Bearing age 4/5 years 
Suitable forms Half Standard

Medlar:  Pyrus  (Very vigorous ) 
Requirements Suitable for a wide range of soils including poor soils and grassed orchards. Staking preferable for the first 3 years.
Mature height Over 20ft (6m) 
Spread 15ft (4.5m) 
Planting distance 20ft (6m) apart, 25ft (7.5m) between rows
Mature yield 
Bearing age 5/6 years 
Suitable forms Standard

Medlar:  Crataegus  (Semi-dwarfing ) 
Requirements Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) is commonly used as a rootstock for medlars. Suitable for a wide range of soils including grassed orchards and relatively poor soils. Stake for the first 5 years.
Mature height 10-12ft (3-3.6m ) 
Spread 15ft (4.5m) 
Planting distance 15ft (4.5m) apart, 20ft (6.5m) between rows
Mature yield 
Bearing age 3/4 years 
Suitable forms Bush, half standard

I guess your decision should be based on what root stocks you're using for the apples and trying to match the sizes if possible (although Medlar is slow growing so you might want a slightly more vigorous root stock for the Medlar).

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:08:29 am »
As well as the recommended root stock for your scion, I agree with Hester that you also need to take your growing conditions into consideration - so a more vigorous rootstock may be worth considering if your soil quality or aspect is less ideal.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
Great advice, thanks.  I'm new to grafting so it's all very experimental.  The soil is good but can be wet through winter.  I also graze livestock under it so I want it to be fairly high above the guard so the bottom leaves aren't easily browsed by sheep. Lots to think about there.  Better get on with it though!  :thumbsup:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS