Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fat shetland filly  (Read 4593 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
fat shetland filly
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »
we have a podgy Shetland filly. shes 2 and about 30kg over weight. would i be right in waiting to see what the winter does or should  start her on some reduction scheme. the others are slightly over but not much. they run on 18 acres of rough moorland/grass land

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: fat shetland filly
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:36:32 pm »
I'd start now - if she's fat when the spring grass comes in she's at real risk of laminitis. Sometimes it's easier in winter as they have to burn calories to keep warm. I assume she's not rugged or in at all.

My boy got fat a few winters ago as the other owners wanted bales of hay in the field. He got laminitis in February - fortunately mild. Now I keep him in at night and he's in a pretty bare field during the day, so I can control what he's eating.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:36:13 pm »
like rosemary i'd start reduction now too as fat at the start of spring is b-a-a-d news for a shetland.  can you reduce her grazing area?  put her on a bare paddock for part of the day?  walk her out in hand?  exercise her in some way - long lining, lunging?

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:04 pm »
I'd start slimming her down now, if you can't fence off a bare patch of field for her you could buy a grazing muzzle but I wouldn't suggest she wears it all day if left running with the others and not watched. Electric fencing could be used as a movable paddock so she doesn't churn the ground up too much and run the risk of getting thrush from standing in mud.

Exercise will help get the weight off and but you'll really have to watch the pony come spring.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:00:48 am »
I doubt if the filly would get thrush by standing outside....thrush is more likely to be found in horses/ponies stabled in dirty conditions.

The main danger in keeping ponies in muddy conditions would be mud fever/cracked heels. This is due to the softened condition of the skin when the legs and pasterns don't get a chance to dry, and the enhanced ability for the causative (soil-borne) bacterium, Dermatophilus congolensis, to enter the skin. It invades the epidermis but doesn't damage the germinating layer, resulting in regeneration, recurring invasion, and desquamation and pus exudation.

The resultant Dermatophilus is recognisable by the presence of lesions and, if left untreated, deep cracks which cause varying degrees of lameness.

Also, be careful if restricting pony's grazing to a small bare paddock, particularly in the spring, as the fructan level in short, stressed (by constant grazing) grass is very high, especially between mid morning and late afternoon. This can be a causative factor in laminitis, and fat ponies are actually safer when  allowed controlled access to older, longer, rough grazing, as there is a far lower level of fructan intake this way.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »
thats intresting

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:18 pm »
In the "laminitis" season, I have my horse out overnight and in during the day for that very reason. In daylight, the sugars move up from the roots to the leaf and then down again in evening, which is why hay is usually cut in afternoon, when the carbs are highest. There was an interesting article in Equiads this month about this.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:24:16 am »
As a 2 year old she is still growing so cutting down her food should not be needed. Have you felt through her winter coat as often this can be very thick indeed making a Shetland look fatter than they are. Does she have a firm cress in the neck which often shows on a fat pony. What kind of grazing is she on. What food is she getting ? If she is over weight in the Spring then I would have her on poor grazing if possible making sure she is still getting vitamins etc. Regardless of breed all youngsters need the correct food to grow to their full potential. All my ponies are fed all year round as the North East of Scotland lacks minerials, foals to three year olds get youngstock mix then they go onto a high fi light with vitamins added. As 4 year olds I then have them on my poorest grazing but by this time they are doing a job, being ridden or driven which helps with the weight. Laminitis can be caused by frosted ground, running about on hard ground, stress, foaling and sudden change of diet. I have a show pony who gets out to graze a few hours a day then taken in to roam about the yard. He is not over or under weight but went down with lami last February after he had a bad fall in the field. He was in a lot of pain and the vet put him on box rest, within a week he was off his feet but with instant treatment he recovered very well.

Hardfeather

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:34:32 am »
SP, do you know Jo and Frances at Thordale centre? They keep lots of ponies, breed and break to drive. They are very knowledgeable and, I'm sure, would be helpful if you wanted any advice.

Jo is a farrier and saddler; Frances is into photography and film stuff.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS