Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do any of you sell your wax?  (Read 3516 times)

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Tanglwst, Carmarthenshire
    • Unicorn Leather Saddlery
    • Facebook
Do any of you sell your wax?
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:29:17 pm »
If so, how much?
You can PM me if you prefer.
Oz
Traditional Country Saddler -est 1988

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Do any of you sell your wax?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:56:25 am »
What kind of quality are you looking for?
I got some that I cleaned recently, but I left it hanging around out for too long before doing that so it's 'bleached' a bit by light exposure (more cream than deep yellow) and has lost its honey smell. Still nice clean pure beeswax though.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:01:46 pm »
What kind of quality are you looking for?
I got some that I cleaned recently, but I left it hanging around out for too long before doing that so it's 'bleached' a bit by light exposure (more cream than deep yellow) and has lost its honey smell. Still nice clean pure beeswax though.

It doesn't have to be top grade, it's the properties I need it for not it's appearance as I blend it with several other things to make leather conditioner. I am just putting the feelers out to see what prices people charge, my usual source is drying up as her bees got a disease so she's giving up I believe. I have even considered learning and keeping bees myself if I can find a suitable environment for them.
How much wax have you got and what price are you looking for?
China is one option but minimum order is a TON!
I have asked another company that deals in beeswax too, waiting for them to get back to me.
I am just exploring my options really at the moment.I still have a fair amount left, been cleaning and refining some I was given, that will last me for a while yet, Oz

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:42 pm »
I have used mine but it did occur to me it's probably cheaper to buy the foundation sheets from a beekeeper supplier than pay me for my time to clean and mould it. You'll get an idea of prices from Thornes or other on-line suppliers but they're quite reasonable. Certainly if you're not fussed about provenance I imagine it'll do you well - a friend who uses wax for candles gets it that way.

H

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 03:37:58 pm »
I have used mine but it did occur to me it's probably cheaper to buy the foundation sheets from a beekeeper supplier than pay me for my time to clean and mould it. You'll get an idea of prices from Thornes or other on-line suppliers but they're quite reasonable. Certainly if you're not fussed about provenance I imagine it'll do you well - a friend who uses wax for candles gets it that way.

H

Thank you  :)

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »
Just looked at Thornes I can get cheaper, a lot cheaper. I am aiming at commercial suppliers to the trade so to speak, not ordinary retailers but thanks again for your reply.
 Oz :)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:32 pm »
Ah, in that case I'd not be able to afford to sell to you! By the time you've done everything by hand, you can't undercut the big boys! Hope you can find something....

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:44:28 am »
Ah, in that case I'd not be able to afford to sell to you! By the time you've done everything by hand, you can't undercut the big boys! Hope you can find something....

Thanks, just got a quote for 25kg from a supplier which isn't too bad so may go with them :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS