Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best duvet?  (Read 17667 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Best duvet?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 10:17:11 am »
The one that I am buying can be washed although I would be very wary doing it myself. I guess it would need a launderette large capacity machine too. They can also go in a dryer on low heat. Again that would need to be the launderette one.
I am hoping that the odd airing outside will suffice, unless a dog or cat is sick on it of course  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 11:06:02 am »
Fleece (and processed wool) is actually very happy to be washed, there are just a few things you have to avoid.  One is no temperature shocks, particularly hot to cold.  And the other is to avoid the combination of heat, lubrication and agitation - so in hot soapy water, don't move it about much.  But wool can take very hot temperatures, even close to boiling, so long as it isn't actually boiled (which is agitation) and isn't then plunged into cold water. 

When we wash raw (straight off the sheep) fleece before spinning it, we usually give it an overnight cold soak first - it's amazing how much dirt comes out with just this.  Then very hot, too hot for your hands, water, into which the soap, lots of soap (I use Ecover washing up liquid, or you can buy wool wash products) has already been added without making a lather.  Often the fleece will sink on its own, but if you need to you can gently push the fleece under the water.  Otherwise don't touch it.  Leave for 15 minutes, then remove, again very gently and not making suds.  Then rinse using water the same temperature as that the fleece came out of.  (Hotter won't harm it, colder could shock it and cause it to felt.)  Same gentle handling this time, as there will still be a lot of soap in the fleece, and the water is still hot, so you still have the potential for Heat + Lubrication + Agitation = Felt.

Rinse until the water is clear.

Don't wring, but you can press it with your hands, and you can spin it.  A standalone spin-dryer is ideal, or for small amounts a salad spinner works well.  A washing machine spin cycle may be okay, but not if it adds water on the spin cycle and not if it does lots of tumbling before it gets going properly.  A lot of people roll the fleece up in a towel and then walk on the roll to push water out - this is fine so long as you have a floor you don't mind getting wet!  lol

If the fleece is still a bit dirty, or greasy, you may need to repeat the washing process.  But it's unusual to need to do it more than twice.  The tips of locks may still look dirty, but if you flick these open with a comb before carding, any dirt held there will fall out as you comb.

The very very hot water and lots of soap is needed to remove the grease.  One product, Unicorn Power Scour, can remove grease at lower temperatures, but in general if you didn't wash it with lots of soap and scalding hot water, you didn't remove the grease.

The 15 minutes is also important - long enough for the soap to permeate the fleece and do its work, but not long enough for the water temperature to cool too much.  If it cools on the fleece, the grease may re-solidify back onto the fleece, and it's much harder to remove the second time around.  (It's chemically altered by the first washing.) 

If you decided to make your own duvet, I would wash the fleece first, as above, to remove the dirt and grease.  I'm a bit dubious about washing the finished item however; if you've carded the wool and stitched it into a cover as shown in that link, wouldn't the airy batts clump when washed?  We need a quilter to tell us...

The Wool Room duvet is stuffed with wee wool pellets, which are held in stitched pockets.  So it's not the same arrangement as carded batts, and wouldn't clump (or at least, would shake loose again once dry) provided it's washed as per the instructions.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 11:17:05 am »
When I said

if you've carded the wool and stitched it into a cover as shown in that link

was I going mad?  I was sure someone had posted a link to a do-it-yourself wool duvet blog, but looking back through the thread, I couldn't find it.

Ah, got it.  It's on another thread, about making your own duvet from your own wool.  4th post.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 09:09:20 pm »
Agreeing with all Sally has said ref scouring wool.

General rule is always "just dont shock it.."  wool pellets sounds like felted already wool nubs. For the wool batting style duvet, should anyone be thinking of making their own (ala other thread) I maintain that once in batting form inside a sandwich of fabric what you are aiming to avoid is felting any clumps that form into permanent fixtures, so go gentle. air on sunny days rather than shoving in a washing machine.   :sunshine:

My fleeces, from Ryeland to Alpaca to Merino all get the same treatment. cool (not cold) soak then scaldingly hot soaks followed by scaldingly hot rinses. Which tbh are just soaks with out fairy :) I do cover my rubber tubs in feed sacks then towels to keep the heat high as long as possible. secondary advantage it stops me fussing with it.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 01:12:21 pm »
Well, I accidentally went on the baavet site, and accidentally bought one :innocent: .  It arrived in super quick time and nicely presented. 
I put in on the bed yesterday; it was very light and cosy.  But...it smells...of lanolin? :-\   It felt like I was sleeping with the sheep (has been known at lambing ::) ).  Does the smell fade or will I just get used to it?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 01:33:05 pm »
I ordered from the Woolroom. It came next day so I can't fault delivery. I bought the all seasons (light and medium weight poppered together). Even the two together are much thinner than the synthetic one I am used to. OH says its heavier though whilst I think its lighter. The first night I didn't put the electric blanket on first and I was cold all night  :(  Since then I have warmed the bed up first and have been fine. I have still woken because I am too hot and chuck everything off but I don't think its happened as often with this duvet as the synthetic.
No smell with this one, other than new bedding.  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 04:05:09 pm »
Bramblecot- ours smelt sheepy for a bit but it quickly fades! We use them in our holiday accommodation (www.hafod-las.co.UK) and no one has complained they smell -yet!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 06:09:02 pm »
Thank you Hafod :) .  I've been in with the sheep this afternoon so I probably won't notice the smell indoors :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 06:40:16 pm »
My Wool Room one doesn't smell sheepy either.  Their bumph does talk about getting all the lanolin out so there's nothing for the wee beasties to feed on... ;)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 07:51:10 pm »
Well I accidentally ended up on the Wool room site and there must have been a computer glitch as  days later an all season duvet and pillows arrived yesterday.  ;D 

Once I had calmed the OH down who thought that the 2 huge boxes contained knitting yarn (being covered with "The Wool Room" tape) he humphed a bit as "we've got a duvet already".

We both had an amazing nights sleep, neither of us too hot or cold. It's only been one night so could be a one off but OH hasn't stopped talking about how great it is and how much he is looking forward to an early night! :thumbsup:
(Need a sleepy smilie :D )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS