Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best duvet?  (Read 17664 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Best duvet?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 07:52:14 pm »
We have a baavet http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=common/home.
It used to take me ages to get warm in bed but I haven't had this problem since we switched to a wool duvet. It seems to regulate my body temperature somehow as I never get too hot either. I would 100% recommend. They have stalls at many shows around wales and the borders and quite often have special deals on (actually just looked and they have 25% off on their website until the end of the month). We bought the pillows too but I'm not as keen on these - they seem to have compacted and become quite solid - perhaps I have a heavy head!
Ah was just coming on to recommend them! Harlech based , and they often have slight seconds. Great product and great UK manufactured producr

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 09:54:29 pm »
I'm definitely leaning towards a wool duvet and have spent most of this evening looking at various websites. It's interesting what hafod has said about the pillows though. Anyone else had this experience?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:01:33 pm »
I haven't had my wool pillows very long, but the info does say to plump them up fairly often, which I do do.

The wool inside is like little sausages - polystyrene bead sized, but elongated into sausages.  They do compact if you don't plump them up for a couple of nights, but so far have fluffed up nicely when I've plumped.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 01:39:47 pm »
We've got a mattress topper, duvet and pillows from the Wool Room. It's our second one because we chnaged from a double bed to a superking sized to accommodate the cats  ::) I kid you not - all three sleep on the bed and two of them are big cats (not lions or tigers, but fair sized moggies).

I love the wool duvet and topper; not so keen on the pillows - maybe I need to do more plumping  ;D

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 08:50:32 am »
I have a merino wool one I bought from Dunelm.  It is brilliant and on its third winter.  It cost £60 in the sale.  Down or feathers trigger my asthma.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:23 am »
40 years ago  i made a tiny 1 room stone house , thatched with reed , lovely little place . Anyway , i made a matress and sort of duvet out of sheep fleece sacks and wool , all washed etc , a bit lumpy but very warm and comfy when kept plumped up .

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 06:13:02 pm »
Do any of you ladies who suffer from "power surges" (sound so much better than hot flushes) at night, have a woollen duvet and mattress topper?  Seriously considering this to try and regulate my body temp at night.  Currently sleeping under a 4 tog duvet with no heating in my room.  freezing when I go to bed and BOILING during the night! 

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 09:07:48 am »
I hang an arm and a leg out of the covers several times a night but otherwise ok, far better than the microfibre duvet where the whole of me was exposed until I got cold.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »
Do any of you ladies who suffer from "power surges" (sound so much better than hot flushes) at night, have a woollen duvet and mattress topper?  Seriously considering this to try and regulate my body temp at night.  Currently sleeping under a 4 tog duvet with no heating in my room.  freezing when I go to bed and BOILING during the night!
I have wool pillows and they certainly help with this.  I'll be buying wool duvets/toppers in the future.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 11:26:32 pm »
I'm now wondering if some of my excess of fleeces can be turned into a duvet.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 11:07:00 am »
Well I have just bought the wool all seasons duvet and matress protector from the Wool Room. I was undecided about the pillows though so have bought a savoy pillow for myself. OH can't make up his mind so we are going to road test mine first  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 10:33:25 pm »
Both of you on one pillow? Cosy.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 11:35:03 pm »
Been wondering about this for a while. We have a duck down duvet and it's great generally but OH and I have very different ideas about what is a normal temperature. I also don't always sleep very well and anything that might improve this is worth trying. The current discount is a bonus!

Has made me wonder about making my own batting for quilting though! Spent the other half of the evening looking at drum carders1 :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 08:21:20 am »
Both of you on one pillow? Cosy.
He can't make up his mind so I have left him with his old one for the time being.
The duvet should arrive today (only ordered yesterday) bed is all stripped and waiting so can give it a run tonight  ;)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 09:01:40 am »
I have an ordinary, Argos microfibre duvet, but I also have Jim, a chilly soul! a whippet and the occasional grandchild in bed with me so I suffer from overheating and am very interested in this topic.
Surely it wouldn't be beyond me to make one? A question though, how would you clean them? Could they go through the washer on a wool wash?  Or would you have to have them dry cleaned. At present I hang our duvet out in the fresh air twice a week, weather permitting. Would this do for fleece? :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS