Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where can I find some people friendly sheep?  (Read 3700 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Where can I find some people friendly sheep?
« on: January 14, 2015, 06:49:26 pm »
Hello xxx we have decided to bite the bullet and rehome our 4 hill breed sheep ( they're lovely and bucket trained, but are just too flighty). ( and free, on marketplace!)
Otherwise we'll take them to auction.

We will then need to find a couple of companion sheep for our pet, Lamby. He is docile and likes people and loves a good body massage and a haircut ( pre shearing) . I'd like another couple of sheep like him.
We are in central Scotland.
I thought I'd read someone on here ( by Rosemary I think) about getting sheep from children's farms but I can't find the information now. 
( or maybe everyone has sheep that like massages...and we've just got 4 odd bods)
Thank you
Joanne xxxxxx

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
Re: Where can I find some people friendly sheep?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:02:36 pm »
Most sheep will become friendly if time is spent with them and they learn to trust you.  On the otherhand there are some sheep who are not fussed by attention and like to do as they please.  I have a couple who are far to friendly and wont leave me alone when i am out in the field, i also have a few that just want left alone.   8)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:06:36 pm »
maybe try orphans lambs?

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:23:05 pm »
Thanks. I did think of lambs but Lamby is about 7 years old and might prefer older friends.
My flighty sheep are ok with me because I do spend time with them, but I worry about them so much if I go away and leave them with other people (will they come to the feeder? What happens if they need rounding up?)
And I suppose I'm looking for sheep that will be ok with other people too.
Xxxx

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:29:27 pm »
The cuddliest (!!) sheep I've known are older mules - the old girls who have been there, done that and seen it all ime are completely up for a scratch or to mug pockets if you sit on a bucket with them even if to move them from A-B they are flightier, so finding some older girls like that may be another route to look at ?
Just seen you want them to be the same with other people - I see these mules once a year and I have no problems with them - they are the same for their owner :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »
I think some sheep are just naturally more friendly. Like us they have personalities  ;D  I have one lad in particular that I am really going to struggle to send to slaughter as he is so cuddly. He wasn't bottle reared and was raised by mum but every time I go in the field he comes over for cuddles and follows me around like a wee dog. One of his brothers is also very friendly.

If Aberdeenshire isn't too far  :innocent:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:29 pm »
Hi Joanne,  what breed is Lamby?  Our two friendliest Zwartbles came from a farm near Stirling, and are frankly just soppy. I think they'd be up for a bit of aromatherapy massage too, given half the chance.

Drop me a line if you'd like to come and meet them to assess friendliness, or I can pass on the breeder's details - her entire flock were like that, boys included!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:34:28 pm »
Thank you Womble. They look terrific!
Yes, any  details would be great thank you.
Xxxx

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 11:44:13 am »
Can definitely recommend Zwartbles as a people friendly breed, most love a good head rub/scratch/fuss!!  We also keep Shropshires which are supposed to be a fairly docile breed but are nothing like our Zs for friendliness!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS