Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly piggy.  (Read 3401 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Poorly piggy.
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:56 am »
Our 8 month old gilt, Little Doreen is poorly today.  She didn't come out of the ark for her breakfast, wasn't interested in it even when put it front of her nose.  She does get to her feet with prodding, but squeals when you touch her, which normally she loves.  No temperature or other obvious signs. 
Vet has been and given her a jab of Metacam, and she is inside now so we can check if she is weeing and pooing normally.
We did wonder if she could be coming into her first hea and if this could make her off colour.  Have arranged to speak to the vet again at lunch time but any knowledge of similar experiences would be appreciated.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Poorly piggy.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:40:57 am »
:fc: it's just a passing thing.  Meg did that once, like you I had the vet but there was nothing to find.  She was a bit better the next day and right as rain after that.  :relief:

The only other thing that occurred is that if the weather's just turned cold and she's not used to it, warm water to drink might help?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:23:24 pm »
Mrs. Carey, one of my Kune.s  is sometimes like this. I take her a bottle of real ale, mixed with water and a few bananas and she's up and doing in no time :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 12:27:56 pm »
We had a weaner like that once - while I was sitting with him pondering, I noticed one of his brother's ear tags was missing. They played a lot, grabbing ears!!!! and stuff. Coincidence? He was fine the next day. Never found the ear tag.

:fc: that wee Doreen is better soon.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:20:04 pm »
Hello,

My LB sow is very much the same sometimes. Seems to be a heat related thing, she just lies around and grunts at you and pretends to be dying. She soon perks up again so fingers crossed all is well!  :fc:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 03:15:18 pm »
I've noticed that they do sometimes go a bit off when in season (with young, unbred gilts it's more noticeable I think) especially if she's not got a temp and seems fine otherwise.
Ditto a wee can of ale to perk up the appetite but she'll probably be right as rain in a couple of days.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »
Strange, if I lay in bed and refuse to come to the trough Mrs Me does not bring me any ale  :'( :pig:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:26:46 pm »
I had a gilt who ill about the time of her first season. she wouldnt get up or eat, had white discharge from her vulva, if I remember right she had a temperature. the vet checked her and couldn't find much else wrong with her. she had antibiotics. I remember thinking she was going to die as she was usually very lively.
it re-occurred a few months later and we ended up culling her due to health problems (she used to tremble all the time - never sure why)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 06:59:10 pm »
She seems perkier tonight, not back to normal, but better than this morning.  Maybe got a bit carried away getting the vet, but better safe than sorry.  Thanks for all the info.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 08:40:35 am »
Strange, if I lay in bed and refuse to come to the trough Mrs Me does not bring me any ale  :'( :pig:

You probably don't squeal loud enough ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 08:43:24 am »
HI
not been on here for a while but I suspect like the others she is just 'off colour', it happens just like us pigs have good and bad days. Keep an eye on her temp and keep her cosy, its going to be very chilly the next few days and most importantly keep her drinking.
all the best Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS