Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hey! From Ystradgynlais!  (Read 3144 times)

TraceyD

• Joined Jan 2015
Hey! From Ystradgynlais!
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:57:09 pm »
Hey Guys n Dolls!

Hope you're all well n happyily enjoying your crafts....and the snowy weather :excited:

I'm Tracey, I live in Ystradgylais...no I haven't just mashed the keyboard...there is such a town...small n sleepy, and situated in the Swansea Valleys.

I stumbled across this lovely, interesting and incredible informative site whilst trying to find info and feedback about drum carders.  I am finally sick of hand carding...and in search of a reasonably priced carder - looks like we're gonna have to shell out around £300  :o but its gotta be worth it inni?  Her-in-doors (as I affectionately call my bf) has said he will buy me one for my burfday - the big 50 coming is up in a few weeks  :relief:  so I deservea big pressie eh?  So I'd like to thank the posters who made comments about their experience with different carders.  i think I have setled on getting the Classic Carder in oak. Getting excited just looking at the picture!!

I do all kinds of crafts.  I was a fine artist, specializing in oils but suffered a brain injury 7 years ago.  After my brain operation, I found it hard to paint because of nerve and brain damage, so turned to textiles - a hobby I'd had since childhood but turned away from after a lot of years working in sewing factories! 

Rekindeling my love of textiles i took to embroidery and crochet...the crochet kind of naturally led to wanting to learn to spin my own wool... well, wool from sheep that I prepared myself - not wool I had grown on my own body!  I was luckyand stumbled across a farmer on freecycle who was giving away fleece  :excited:  the only problem was that I took all of the fleece, not just a couple.  I ended up with about 10 bin bags stuffed full - I'd say around 30 full fleeces and a few not so complete!  Crazy for a complete novice!!  I spent the whole summer washing and dying the fleece - well some of it - in the Welsh valleys we don't get many days when its warm enough and dry enough to dry fleeces!!  The fleeces turned out to be a right mixture - and VERY DIRTY - some so dirty that I thought the fleece was black - but when washed turned out to be white!!  I think those were mining sheep btw!!!  :o  I don't know the breeds of sheep they came from, some  is Welsh mountain sheep - very wirey and tough, but fairyly long. SOme comes from other sheep - lovely and soft and also long.  So my freecycle find was lucky.  I still have about 10 fleeces in a quilt cover in my store cupboard waiting to be washed.  I have heaps dyed nd waiting to be carded and some undyed also needing to be carded.  I have done a lot by hand - but tbh, its not very nice to spin as the batts are very short.

I'm teaching myself to spin.  Got a nice little wheel off ebay - its ok, but one day I have promised to buy myself a better my fancy one! But to learn, this one is fine. I also drop spin a little.  I'm not very good at spinning yet, but I will be one day!! 

I felt too...and lino cut...not many crafts I don't do actually!!! 

So thats me.   I look forward to joining in on this forum, and getting to know everyone!  So...hello - and goodnight - tiz all most midnight so I best get to bed!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hey! From Ystradgynlais!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:26 am »
Hello and welcome! Phew, I feel quite tired reading about your crafts though. Hope you enjoy TAS - it's amazing how popular crafting has become again - through love not necessity - and especially fleece craft.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 09:05:56 am »
Hello from much-easier-to-spell-Surrey! :wave:

Your experience with fleece sounds pretty much like mine - given loads of fleece and thought 'I'll learn to spin' Tirned out those "free" fleeces have cost me a fortune!  And my OH is still waiting for his free sweater!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10:29 am »
A very warm welcome from Devon :wave: You may want to visit Jill Harrison's site, she does amazing things with fleece. Her tawny owl is staring at me as I type :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:20:03 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum for a snowy Carmarthenshire. There are quite a few of us on here who spin. I am currently spinning some fleece from my own sheep that I dyed with natural dyes.

Perhaps I will bump into you if you go to Wonderwool in April.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 10:23:45 am »
Hello from similarly unpronounceable (until you learn the Welsh alphabet) cefnddwysarn. :wave:  I am  on the spinners UK site on FB and just learning really. And have also just had a classic carder - it will enhance your life :-) can't wait to see some of your art and craft Fiona xx

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:28:34 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire but in Bala at the moment, meeting up with FiB tomorrow for a spinning workshop.  :excited: :excited: :excited:  As well as spinning (and I have a Classic Drum Carder), I knit, weave and do felt making. Also keep goats.

TraceyD

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 11:08:57 pm »
Hey Ladies!
Ty for the welcome :)
Worn you out already Rosemary?  lol Sorry - I'm hell of a chaterbox!!  Yes, I agree, crafting has become very popular (at long last) for years I crafted alone... many of my mates thought I was abit of a looney for doing stuff like makeing my own Chrimb cards - now they're all doing it!  We have a thriving craft club in our town - I've taught quite a lot of the ladies to needlefelt, most of them had never heard of it but after seeing me do it they all wanted a go! :)
Yes, greenlife - the free fleece has become a bit of an expense what with the dyesm hand carder and now a drum carder! lol but its all good fun inni?
Hey devon Lady - can you give me the url for Jill Harrisons site please - sounds really interesting!
Hey Bionc!  Oh yes Wonderwool!!! I can't wait!!! Missed it last year as it was on the weekend of my daddys' funeral and wake.  :(  You only live up the road from me inni? Carmarthens not too far away issi?
Hey Fib!  So you're up North issi?  Can't wait to get my carder, its allordered n paid for now - but her-in-doors has said I'm not allowed it tillmy burfday - end of February!!  Rotten git in he?
Hey Mad Goatwoman - Bala is a beautiful area isn't it? fab you are meeting with FIB for the workshop. I have yet to share spinning with a friend, none of mine are interstedin spinning, but I have now found out about th Spinners, dyers and weavers guild in Pontardawe - I am deffo gonna join when my life isn't quite so crazy!  Do you do anything with your goat fluff? 

Thanks again everyone for making me feel so welcome! :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:21:38 am »
Tracey, if you are ever this way we have a spinners, dyers and weavers group in Llansadwrn. We meet on Tuesday afternoons between 2 and 4pm and it only costs £1.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 11:17:57 pm »
Tracey, I've never tried the goat fluff. It's very short though and I suspect that it would be hard to spin. I've not been doing it long. I was a weaver for a long time before that.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:58 am »
Lesley you could mix the goat fluff with fleece. It should make it easier to spin

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 09:30:06 pm »
Good point, Sally. It will soon be time to start combing out their winter coats. (I hope)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS