Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello and looking for a pig ark  (Read 2503 times)

LittleFarmDownTheLane

• Joined Jan 2015
Hello and looking for a pig ark
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:13 pm »
Hello everyone, we have just joined the forum and am looking forward to learning lots! We are based in county Galway and have a small holding of just under 4 acres. On that we have horses, pigs, chickens, ducks, geese, cats and dogs.

At the moment we are looking for a pig ark. There are two great businesses in the east of the country but delivery is astronomical and I'm looking for somewhere in the west that sells them. Hope someone can help!

Cheers in advance.
LittleFarm

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Hello and looking for a pig ark
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:48:45 am »
I'm in the process of making one with an old trailer canopy (the sort of thing you'd put on top of a pickup truck to turn it into a hard-top). Could that, or any of the other home-made designs work for you, in the absence of a commercial solution?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:13:42 pm »
A friend made us a pig palace from solid pallets with second hand corrugated sheets as a roof. Cost about £100 and will last forever!

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:53:13 pm »
So easy to make why buy?

You can use anything to raise walls on three sides, the opening away from prevailing winds.

Even earth and turf can be used.

We used pallet wood, old stakes and  abandoned sheets of corrugate iron. 

Arcs can be any shape also.  Just protected from prevailing winds and with dry floor space.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:08:40 am »
Hi LFDTL, I have some details for home made arks, if wanted, Pm me your e-mail address & I'll forward to you. We made our first ever ark, not too hard and it's lasted for three pairs of weaners - needs a bit of work this year but has lasted really well.

Regards Zac

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:10:50 am »
Even better still - found a link

http://www.brattonpig.com/

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:03:44 pm »
We used an old plastic 1200 litre oil tank that worked a treat and was free. Give it a good wash out, put some ventilation holes in the back door in the front and you're away. Fitted 3 kune kunes till 10 months old. Try eBay or freecycle for tanks near you or local heating installers may have some they have removed.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »
The bratton pig design looks very good and the instructions seem clear. This will be our option this year rather than buying one :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS