Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to worm?  (Read 14795 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
When to worm?
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:10:18 am »
I am sure that this information is on this site somewhere, but I do not appear to be able to find it!

My ewes (in theory!!) are due to lamb at the end of March.
I plan to 'Heptavac' them 4 weeks prior to lambing. Should I also worm them at this time? Or wait until they have lambed before they are put back out, or....?
Also, which wormer type should I use? 
I did have a worm issue in the summer and only have one field.
Any advice much appreciated  :-*
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: When to worm?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:15:58 am »
It's usual, if worming adult ewes at all, to worm them as they lamb, as there is an increase in worm production at birth.  A lot of people only worm the twin- and triplet-bearers.

Whereabouts are you?  (Should know, can't remember, sorry.   :-[)  Up here we wouldn't expect worms to be a problem in March, still too cold, but if you are down south that may be different.

Our ewes would be getting a fluke dose and maybe something for exoparasites in the month or two before lambing - but again it will depend on your climate, ground and local conditions.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 11:28:12 am »
Inject them with Cydectin 2% LA two weeks before lambing, or at lambing, whichever is convenient.  It has a persistent effect so will last nearly 2 months and covers the ewes during their compromised lambing period.
Covers you for scab too.
One injection just below the ear - takes a bit of practice so have someone hold the head whilst you inject.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:45:26 am »
We worm and fluke as they lamb. This year we're using Albex at the fluke dose - mainly because that's what we have to hand. Personally, I'd rather drench than inject  :)

That's the only time we worm the ewes. We also fluke them in October, before tupping and January, when they are in to be scanned.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 11:50:35 am »
Personally, I'd rather drench than inject  :)

Yes, me too, but the benefits of that product outweigh the inconvenience.  My lambs do much better since I started using it at lambing time (i.e. they suffer less with worms throughout the year and grow better).  Also, I have to cover for scab annually so this ticks that box too.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »
Oh heck, now I think I might be even more confused (it doesn't take much ;))
Sally, I am in North Yorkshire.

So reading your replies it seems
- I should have fluked them in October (I don't think fluke is too much of an issue around here though and the field is very dry.
- They should be fluked (is fluked a word?) when they are scanned (end Jan). I could use Albex (I have some!) at Fluke dose and this would cover worms as well, but not any external parasites
- They should be 'fluked' at lambing- as you say this protects the lambs, I assume that you worm the lambs as well then?
- or....Inject them with Cydectin 2% LA two weeks before lambing, or at lambing. If injected at lambing, do you do the lambs as well?

:thinking:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »
Worming depends on multiple factors, from stocking density, location in the country, to weather, to individual farm conditions.
Id suggest looking at the scops website and talking to your vet and or feed store as they will be able to help you with local conditions.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:35:06 pm »
speak to your vet ..... fluke may not be a problem where you are so no need to fluke dose.  As for worming adult ewes do at lambing  and then that should cover them and lambs for a large part of the year. Lambs will need nematodirus wormer  later.   but you may not need to worm ewes again (a FEC sample would confirm this)

I too use cydectin  ... I have worm resistance to white wormers here.

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »
I can see Cydectin seems to be available as a drench as well.
Would that have the same effect?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »
I can see Cydectin seems to be available as a drench as well.
Would that have the same effect?
Nope, it's not the same strength.  I mean yes, it will kill worms but it doesn't have the same persistent effect. And it doesn't deal with scab.
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cydectin_20_mg_ml_LA_Solution_for_Injection_for_Sheep/-49356.html
vs
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cydectin_0_1_ACU-_w_v_Oral_Solution_for_Sheep/-45306.html

this is a helpful doc:
http://www.ecsrhm.eu/CydectinLongActing.pdf

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:11:22 pm by Foobar »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »

- or....Inject them with Cydectin 2% LA two weeks before lambing, or at lambing. If injected at lambing, do you do the lambs as well?

You don't do the lambs, just the ewes.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »
I worm mine before tupping, following SCOPS guidelines on switching wormer groups and keeping them on the same field for 48 hours before moving to fresh ground.  I worm a day before they're due to move from theie individual mothering up pen to the nursery shed, so any resistant worms are shovelled onto the muckheap when the pen's cleaned out ready for the next ewe.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 06:38:51 pm »
If the worms are resistant they will still be inside the ewe and will carry on their wormy lives shedding eggs in the faeces onto the pasture

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »
"Residual" perhaps?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:32:17 pm »
Maybe! I like your tag line Womble

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS