Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eyes, am I being paranoid?  (Read 2503 times)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
Eyes, am I being paranoid?
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:02:54 pm »
I recently bought a Shetland cow and heifer, both of which were scanned in calf, to become the corner stone of my breeding herd.
On close inspection when I got home I noticed that the heifer always has a white part of her eye showing. The other eye looks in the same position but the white is a lot duller in colour.
The lady I bought her from is happy to swop for a different heifer and she has also been in touch with Paddy, the Northern area Shetland adviser.
Can anyone advise if I am making a fuss about nothing please? I hope I am, it's just I don't want to start off a herd with a genetic? defect.
Pictures attached.
Any opinions greatly appreciated, many thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:51:19 pm by Susannah »
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

HappyHippy

Re: Eyes, am I being paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:29:36 pm »
It's not that easy to tell from a photo, but her face looks slightly asymmetric - I'm not sure if it's common in Shetlands, or even considered an issue. Paddy will probably be able to advise you better about breed trends.
 I saw a Dexter bullock who had a REALLY misshapen head at a show once (on a breed society stand) so maybe it's quite common? It wasn't affecting him adversely IMHO.
Would be interested in finding out what Paddy says though......I'm thinking about my next couple of cows and it'll probably be Shetlands again  ;)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:09:55 pm »
I would say that if the animal doesn't look right to you (for whatever reason) then swap her.
After all, you're presumably planning on keeping her for a long time, and it will annoy you more as time goes on. Why settle for one you're not 100% happy with, when the breeder will willingly change her? 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:03 am »
I agree with landroverroy. I don't think there's anything wrong with the heifer - my pony shows more white in one eye than the other. I'll inspect the cows today. But you're better to be happy with your cattle or it will always bug you.

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 11:50:02 am »
Thank you all very much for your replies. I hate having to make decisions like this but you have helped make it easier. Thank you, although Rosemary I would be interested to know if any of you Shetlands have anything similar.
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 11:52:02 am »
I had a look at mine thsi morning. Annie has one eye that shows more white than the other - I couldn't get a photo that was any use though. I don't detect any issues with it - and she's won in the show ring.

She's such a sweetie - I think she's my favourite. She almost puts her own halter on in the morning and he has huge hairy ears.  :hugcow:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:14:47 pm »
I also have a pony with a similar thing. hes perfect in every other way.
I think it could be a fault in the show ring, but lets face it - are there going to be many shetlands in the class to compete against? speaking from experience with our champion heifer..... :innocent:   :trophy:   :innocent:
did you view the cattle before purchase? did you ask for show quality and pay show quality price?
if the breeder is kind enough to swop then do so but that would be a generous thing to offer if they have a closed herd.

incidentally out of my 2 cows, the less than perfect one is my favourite by far, she is the one I can milk and cuddle. I wouldn't swop her for the world.

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:55:29 pm »
Hard to be sure from a picture but looks like just pigment in the sclera to me, or possibly third eyelid showing. Would have thought this would not be unusual in a black and white animal?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS