Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bread  (Read 5897 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
Bread
« on: January 11, 2015, 12:49:12 pm »
Hi,

I moved to north Wales from Leicestershire a few years ago. The only thing I'm not happy about is the bread, the bread I can buy is not good at all.

Has anyone got a simple to make (Have never made bread before) plan bread recipe I could use to make my own. 

Many thanks

David

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:07:32 pm »
I made this the other day which was really good and really easy - only thing I'd say is be slightly careful kneading it as I knocked too much air out of mine and it was a bit heavy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aussie_olive_damper_47860

Paul Hollywood's Sourdough is next on my to do list - he is pretty good with his cakes and breads so I have high hopes although I haven't made it :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/classic_sourdough_21029

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:59:56 pm »
A baker told [size=78%]me that it's important to kneed dough on a 'warm' surface. [/size]
[/size][size=78%]So I do the dough on my wooden work top and my pastry (which likes the cold) on a granite work top. So when you decide on your recipe have a think about where you are going to make it too. [/size]
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »
I've used a Panasonic bread maker for about 16 years and although not as good as "proper" hand made bread it's a darn sight better than shop bought.  My basic recipe is three quarters of a teaspoon yeast (I use Doves Farm) 125g wholemeal bread flour, 350g white bread flour, 15g butter, 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar and 280ml water. Sometimes, depending on the flour, I add a tablespoon of flour improver and/or the same of milk powder.   The machine is also very good at mixing dough (takes 40 minutes and it's ready to prove - focaccia is excellent.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 03:13:13 pm »
I find the bog standard recipe on the back of the dried yeast box does the job for me. There are plenty of different recipes out there to try, but for everyday run of the mill bread, that's still far better than shop bought, that does us fine - and the recipe is always on hand for when my brain takes a day off!  ;D - That said there's probably a perfectly good one on the back of the bread flour packet too... I might make that one next time just to inject a little excitement into the day! Variety is the spice of life, so they say!  ;D ;D
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
Thank's guy's for your help, will give them a go.

David

oldwolf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Livingston
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 07:52:03 pm »
Just noticed this post.  I make bread just about every second day, a basic recipe with variations for flavouring.
500g bread flour, 1.5 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons sugar, a dollop of olive oil, then add dried yeast, 300 mils of liquid usually 200 mils milk and 100 mils boiling water, but some times porter, beer or cider.
Knead the dough for 10 mins by the clock to stretch the gluten, you will be sweating, the dough should change from a sticky mass to resuming its shape when you poke it.  Cover with a damp tea towel and leave till it has doubled in size. Knead it again (called knocking back) then shape it and put it in a loaf tin recover with tea towel till it has doubled in size.
Brush the surface with a beaten egg and then sharply cut the surface of the loaf three time. Into a moderate 180 oven for 30 mins.....perfect bread.
Once you have the ingredients sussed its all about the kneading
'And the crowd called out for more'

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:06 am »
If you have a bakery nearby they may still yeast if asked. I divide mine up convert it with cling film and freeze it until needed

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 06:31:51 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636.pdf
I use tepid water. Also when putting in the dried yeast put it to the other side of the bowl to the salt, as the salt kills the yeast if put directly on top of the yeast.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:17:08 pm »
I sometimes go to our local Tesco's bakery section and ask for yeast , and usually its FREE get about 100g at a time Asda also

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS