Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spoon or spirtle?  (Read 10666 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Spoon or spirtle?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 08:17:33 am »
Right, then I shall do a test one in green wood and season some more.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 08:55:57 am »
I would have thought that it would warp and split if carved green.

greenwood turning/carving is an artful process... really depends on making some shaping cuts to thin the stock before partial seasoning and returning to the piece - often wrapping in newspape with the shavings so it doesn; dry too quick and split/deform. Its fine if you have a lot of staged items already in process to occupy you.

A seasoned stick shoved on a lathe and it's moments to do - perhaps worth a look in the woodpile for a nice dry log to split for stock?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 11:11:14 am »
Which oats do I usually use... well, most often I'll be using the ones from my most local mill, the Little Salkeld Watermill.    I also like the ones from Marriage's.  One of my other favourites are Flahavan's, which are from Ireland; Waitrose sell them and they are very, very good.

(So apparently I lied upthread - none of my usuals are from Scotland!  I'd thought Marriage's were Scottish, but I now realise they are in Essex!  It is true to say that if I am choosing from a selection that doesn't include any of my favourites, I'll choose the Scottish ones.)

I've never tried any of the 'instant' type, although I did see an esteemed TASer having one of the microwave-in-a-pot ones at the first Scottish Smallholder Show, and she said it was an awful lot better than many of the alternative breakfasts-on-the-hoof !   :D

Sometimes I have plain oats, cooked in half-water half-milk, with a few sunflower seeds and sultanas in, and sometimes I mix other grains in - some oatmeal, I love to use some rye flakes if I have some, sometimes I add buckwheat, barley, or other grains I may have to hand.

BH likes it with pumpkin seeds as well as the sunflower seeds and sultanas; we both like to add fresh blueberries and/or raspberries if we have some.  Sometimes I cook it with an apple or a pear cut up into it.

Now and again I add nothing at all.  And very rarely I make it with water and add just a tiny bit of salt ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 11:46:26 am »
I wish Mr F liked all those additives, but he has to have his porridge totally plain, no salt, no sugar, no sultanas, pumpkin seeds, sunflowers etc, just a little milk.  Still, I suppose one little flaw isn't too much to cope with - he's perfect in every other way  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 04:48:46 pm »

:yum:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 05:13:09 pm »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:40 pm »
Anne

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 11:41:52 pm »
 :idea: I thought a " spurtle "  was the start of a big leak  :roflanim:

Porridge & Ronnie Barker ... I  wonder what he would make of a spurtle ?

Years ago I had some simple cattle feed rolled oats stolen out the farms hand  mill in the farmers barn where dad worked . Stolen by my brother when he was paid to hand mill so many oats for the horses  .

They secretly were steeped over night in boiled up rain water , sat on top of the oven of the old pre-Victiorian open fire cooking range .

Somewhere my brother had read that Scotsmen used such " porridge "  oats and ate then whilst standing up having had them sprinkled with salt first .

So in the morning big bro ( just turned 12 )  strained the water off and boiled it up in clean water on the gas ring . 
Being a bit of a bully he made me ( just turned six years old ) eat 1/4 of a bowl of it with salt sprinkled on it whilst stood at the old pine table .

Half an hour later , I hooped it up all over him as was sat in front of me on the school bus ,  I've never like porridge since then .
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:49:50 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS