Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SRUC Lambing Courses, Dumfries and Cupar  (Read 5690 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
SRUC Lambing Courses, Dumfries and Cupar
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:54:15 pm »

Folks, it seems there are still places left on this Spring's SRUC lambing courses.

I've just booked onto the 1-day course in Dumfries on Feb 17th, and there is also a 2-day course in Fife on 3rd/4th April.

Overview:

This course is designed for those who have limited experience with sheep and who would like to know more about "lambing time". The training course will be delivered by one of our qualified agriculture instructors. All participants will be awarded a College Certificate of Attendance on completion of the course.   

What is Involved?:

Care of the ewe from mid pregnancy
Preparation for lambing
Lambing techniques using the simulator
Lamb revival and survival
Lambing equipment and preparations
Assisted lambing techniques
Fostering methods 

More details here in case anyone fancies joining me!  :thumbsup: .
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:58:34 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: SRUC Lambing Courses, Dumfries and Cupar
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:37:38 pm »
I quite fancy one of these.
I wonder how basic it is. iv lambed a few times before but all natives needing minimal assistance.
how good is the course?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:01:43 pm »
I did a one day one a few years ago and it was good. There's always something to learn, however many times you've done it.

Are they free courses?

3rd and 4th April's a bit late for me - we'll already be living it  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »
Yes, I thought the same Rosemary - ours are due any time from the end of March.

No, they're not free unless you qualify for ILA funding (I don't unfortunately, so it's cost me £95). However, learning new skills is never cheap, and I don't begrudge that.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:21:44 pm »
Dumfries is too far for me. Cupar is our nearest course - £185.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 07:30:05 am »
SRUC stuff is generally very good, and you don't need to save many lambs that you might have lost otherwise to earn that back.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:36:05 pm »
I might apply for this, Dumfries is close to me. Think I might be entitled to ila

kim

• Joined Jun 2012
  • dundee angus
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:41:03 pm »
ILA came through today, I'm going to Cupar 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 12:43:14 pm »
So, I think I've just about recovered now, but this course was definitely not for the faint hearted (none of the usual cute photos of lambies and reassuring talk here)! The morning was delivered classroom style with good handout notes and the lecturer working with an overhead projector (I haven't seen one of those for 15 years  ;D ).

The tutor was very knowledgeable and gave numerous non-obvious tips about all aspects of lambing and lamb care. He even took my daft questions in his stride, for example:

Lecturer: "For scours, you can give an enema of liquid paraffin or warm soapy water. Or you could try a natural yoghurt".
Womble: "Do you mean a yoghurt enema?" 
Lecturer: "Er, no. I'd just give that by mouth if it were me".

The afternoon was a practical session, delivered thoughtfully just after lunch, where four dead lambs were underemoniusly dumped onto the floor from a binbag and the lecturer said "At the last course, two people fainted when I did this".  Now, call it the power of suggestion, but I'm afraid I spent the next five minutes trying very hard not to faint!

We then spent an hour practicing giving glucose injections, inserting stomach tubes and applying elastrators to the dead lambs.

They were also used in lambing simulators.  These were basically ewe-sized boxes that the lambs were put into in various different positions, and a bucket of warm water added to make them extra slippery. A macabre party game then ensued where we had to put our hands in through a vagina sized hole in the side of the box to see which bits of lamb you could feel and hence which way round it was, before trying to manover the lamb round into the correct birthing position.

So, did I enjoy this course?  No, absolutely not! Definitely the worst day off work I've ever had! I've never heard the word Vulva so many times in my life, and I really wondered what the hell I was doing there when being exhorted to lever a dead lamb's head around by putting my fingers into its eye socket, before trying to grab its head with a loop of electrical flex!

Was it worthwhile?  Yes, absolutely.  It's taken a lot of the fear away for me, and I now feel I have a good idea of what I'll be capable of dealing with myself, and what I'd have to call a neighbour or the vet for.

As I may have mentioned, It really wasn't for the squeamish or faint hearted though.  I've never had the strongest stomach (i'm getting better, having now gutted a hundred or so chickens). However, if I'd attended this course three years ago, I definitely would have passed out or been sick.

Cudos to the lady who came on the course just because she was interested, and had no plans for getting any sheep of her own. I wonder if the day changed her mind?  :roflanim:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:44:58 pm by Womble »

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 02:26:54 pm »
It was a very good course (and good to meet you!). I felt almost every bloke cringe when I couldn't get the castrator band back off the dead tip lambs boy bits  :innocent:.

It was very informative and hands on!. I love your description of the course  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 04:26:21 pm »
Aye, you're not wrong there Jamie!

"Sometimes the testes retreat back inside the abdomen", said the instructor. No bloody wonder I thought, as I felt my own doing exactly the same thing!  :roflanim:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »
I did this course a couple of years ago and thought it was excellent. Might do it next year as I've never used some of the things I learned there - like the glucose injection (touch wood).

Brilliant account, Womble  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 08:00:49 pm »
sounds really good womble.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS