Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dr Temple Grandin and Animal Handling facilities  (Read 4445 times)

C1ark3c

• Joined Dec 2014
Dr Temple Grandin and Animal Handling facilities
« on: January 03, 2015, 09:02:50 pm »
Has anyone heard of or read any books by Temple Grandin?

Has anyone built or or know of anyone who has built the designs from her books on animal handling facilities?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Dr Temple Grandin and Animal Handling facilities
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:35:05 am »
She's fantastic, a hero of mine.
I had the fantastic opportunity to see her talk at my university a few years ago.
Not got cattle so haven't built any of the plans, but the general principles can help make small changes to everyday animal handling.
Good luck if you do use them
Suzanne

C1ark3c

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:26:01 am »
Yes ... Thanks for the response ... A hero of mine too...

There is a TV movie made of her life.  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin_(film)

It covers both her development of her theories on cattle handling and her own difficulties with autism.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 11:21:13 am »
I've read one of her books. Interesting stuff.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 04:37:11 pm »
Yep, read her book on animal handling facilities. Her designs were a bit too much on the grand scale for what I required. But the design I came up with and had built owes much to her thoughts. Better still, the cattle walk through the pens and crush every day to get to their feed trough.

Regards, David

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:46:40 pm »
Good stuff there.

We built a small race from scaffold poles and field gates - it leads to our cattle crush.

The cattle use this as their way into and out of their shed. They manage to troop through fairly well, and will engage reverse if someone wants to go the 'other' way... Our calves learn the route from their dams - and most of them are fine - though there's always one who can't seem to get the idea, and it's usually a bull calf - I'm sure they're a bit dimmer than the heifers.

As they use the race and the crush as a routine wallkway, we have no trouble lining them up for vet procedures such as TB annd BVD testing. Makes our vet a very happy man.

Sue

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 05:57:29 pm »
Brilliant!  I've read all her books and they really help you to look at the world from livestock's perspective.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 11:15:55 pm »
Another fan here.

Most of the cattle handling suppliers have now embodied some of her ideas in standard layouts.  Most will, if the site (and farmer) allows for it, incorporate an s-bend in a race, and other features to encourage natural movement. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 09:39:07 pm »
There are some of her videos on You Tube - well worth watching.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:58:24 pm »
yes, my husband has set a system up with bud boxes and walks zig zags behind the cattle.  Much calmer and easier to control.  He's usually a screamer and water pipe mad.  Done him the world of good!

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 01:26:23 pm »
I've heard she has transformed abattoir and feedlot handling systems all over the world and if she visits an abattoir she terrifies even big companies if they are doing things wrong - fantastic woman!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »
I know the name, but I can't remember reading any of her stuff before :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 03:53:39 pm »
4 those that have sky the film " temple grandin " is available on demand, not only a fab film but a very true biopic of the great ladies life

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS