Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anybody ever killed a bullock for the freezer?  (Read 2570 times)

PhillipWillie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Ballymoney
Anybody ever killed a bullock for the freezer?
« on: January 03, 2015, 05:48:33 pm »
Has anyone ever done this? Was it worthwhile, or a waste of time?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Anybody ever killed a bullock for the freezer?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 05:50:32 pm »
Yes I was the proud owner of a Dexter for 48 hours! He tasted gooood!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:54:24 pm »
Don't understand the question ..... do you mean  home kill?     and why wouldn't it be worthwhile?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

PhillipWillie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Ballymoney
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 07:00:43 pm »
No, through the meat plant. Wasnt sure if it would be worth more selling him. Can you sell the meat?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 07:09:11 pm »
Without wanting to appear fascetious, depends what your costs will be. Transport of animal to abattoir; killing; transport of carcase to butcher; butchery costs - these seem to vary quite widely across the country.

Roughly, you can work on a killing out % of roughly 50% so a 500kg live beast will deliver 250kg deadweight. You will lose about 1/3 from deadweight to "in the box" so 175kg, but depends how fat it is, how good the conformation is, how long it's hung, how good the butcher is.

We sell beef boxes; so the carcase goes to the butcher to be cut and packed then we pick it up and deliver it to customers. We couldn't retail it like a shop because we don't have the facilities.

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:54:25 pm »
We need some advice here. We have our first steer approaching killing weight in the spring - hopefully he will be about 550 kg. We don't want to do it on the farm. We have a butcher happy to do the cutting but my concern is the logistics of the slaughtering - which abattoir, how to transport him safely without him getting stressed, how well he will be treated and what regulations we have to adhere to. We are not "farm assured" - does that limit the choice of abattoir? Who will hang the meat and transport it? We really need to sort this out! Any advice gratefully received!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:12:40 pm »
I kill things here for the freezer and it really isn't too bad, as long as you have machinery to raise the carcass off the floor I would reconsider doing it at home

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS