Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gutted and fuming  (Read 9832 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Gutted and fuming
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 05:54:36 pm »
What an awful thing to happen  :o  you are right to be fuming!
I'm only just about finding out about shooting and hunting 'conventions' myself...
I hope you get it sorted in a manner deserving of the damage and the loss of your precious goat   :hug:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 06:41:14 pm »
So sorry :(

I would be out for blood over these. What arrogant <bleeps>

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »
Thanks for the replys. Yes she is from Champ parents and she herself had several wins as a kid/goatling
She has kidded as a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old twin girls both times.
He was a right d**k head until we said we had had legal advice and started quoting everything they had broke the law with.
Keeping a very close eye on the other 2 that where in there.  Milk had dropped quite a bit today overall from all of the ones milking  :-\
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 08:31:04 pm »
Graham, I am so sorry that you had to experience this horror. I hope that the idiots responsible do learn their lesson and I hope that you get as much as you can from them. People like this only understand the value of money.

If they have broken law by entering your land with a firearm then they certainly need reporting to the police. They should also be paying, not only for the goat and potential kids, but the cost of the vet if he/she attended. And for your distress - not that there's any amount can make up for that. I would also want recompense for the loss of milk. Of course your poor girls are upset and it's bound to affect their yield.

Most of all, I hope that you can be at peace about it all, in time.  :hug:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 08:38:07 pm »
Really sorry to hear this. People are so ignorant and inconsiderate. Definitely take the advice given to speak to. Solicitor before having any more conversations. You only need to say something they can twist and they will use it to get out of paying.  Best of luck and hope all your other goats are okay.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 08:38:45 pm »
What a horrible upset for everyone, it's not about money, the relationship built up with your animals is an important aspect of your life and lifestyle. As well as taking care of everything else take care of yourself as well, you're probably still in shock. Are you a member of the NFU? There should also be a 'Rural' police officer allocated to your area whom you should be able to contact. :hug:

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 05:58:50 pm »
OMG. I'm so sorry for your loss
It's hard enough to lose a goat, never mind in circumstances like that!! You did well keeping your cool.
Make them pay... and not jusy monetarily.  See about an injunction to stop them shooting/hunting by your land...soo sorry :hug:
:rant:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 12:52:11 am »
I know there are many who liken them to chocolate fire guards but maybe worth contacting RSPCA ?  So glad we don't have any 'sportsmen' like that here. I can't begin to imagine how you feel but I'm with others about 'looking after yourself' too.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 05:34:18 am »
It was always drummed into us as children with our first air rifles "NEVER SHOOT THROUGH A HEDGE, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S ON THE OTHER SIDE!!"  and we certainly wouldn't have shot over a neighbours land without permission.
Send them a copy of the BASC for safe shooting.
Also, anyone with half a wit would guess that a perspex roof would be unsafe  ::) ::)
Go get them, you have right (and all of us) on your side :hug: :hug:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 07:41:19 am »
Thanks for the replys
We where at the estate office yesterday and told them what the goat was worth to us and that we had lost our best milker. We also pointed out everything they had broken the law by doing and the stress this has caused both the other goats and us.
They agreed to pay and will not be putting it  through the insurance  ::)  they have also agreed to keep well away from our property when shooting in the future and will inform us in advance if they are shooting in that area
I still find it very upsetting to have lost Enya and it's horrible to see her pen empty
Graham

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:18:41 am »
 :hug:  Unfortunately nothing can undo the loss and bring Enya back.  :bouquet: 

But thank goodness they seem to have got the message and will keep well away from your premises in future.

You have handled the situation with great restraint and dignity.  Hats off to you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 03:27:54 pm »
I'm glad that they are being reasonable about recompensing you and that they will keep away from your property now. Not that any of that will bring Enya back and I feel for your loss. No one understands what it's like to lose a special goat (or any other anumal) unless they've been in the same position  :hug: :bouquet:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 06:46:03 pm »
Glad you have a reasonable settlement. The money will never compensate for your loss but keeping the hunt well away from your property and getting prior warning sounds a more worthwhile agreement. I agree with Sally, you have handled it much more restrained than I would have  :thumbsup:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:16 pm »
Very sorry about your loss of Enya - but glad that the Estate are going to go some way to paying compensation.
I'm not surprised they aren't going through their insurance, most probably because their insurance wouldn't payout considering several laws were broken in the pursuance of the damage.
 :bouquet:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 07:23:21 pm »
Agree with the others, it's not going to recompense you for losing Enya. But keeping them clear of your property in the future is the best thing to come out of this.

Hope the shed is fixed now for the others btw.

Beth
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:25:07 pm by ballingall »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS