Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting them in-pig  (Read 3387 times)

jimmy

• Joined Jul 2013
Getting them in-pig
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:56:25 pm »
Hi, I have 3 lovely gilts, a year and a bit old.
I had a young boar in around August/September, and got him to do his duty with all 3 of them successfully. I waited 3 weeks with each, and put them in again, and noted they didn't come on again. (OSB did, but hopefully she took the 2nd time).

The first one was due 18th Dec (GOS) - nothing... Her tummy let down a bit, but I'm new at this so hard to tell!
The second one was due today - nothing. She's overweight so hard to tell... I have her separated now, and going to try and slim her down etc. (BK)
The third is due 18th Jan, and does look more promising. Her teats are shaping up, but she's not massive or anything. (OSB)

I remember reading somewhere (recently) that someone said you must get them vaccinated against something, or else they will abort. Is this true? Might that have been the problem? Or could it just be the boar was too young to be really effective? (I do know he finished the deed with each one successfully, but he was only 5 or 6 months)...
Also a vet I asked did say it's harder to get them in-pig as it gets towards autumn/winter. Is that true? They would have been in with the boar in September.

So I'm wondering what to do next. I know I need to slim them down a little bit and get them in good shape (Especially the BK who was dominant when they were in together), but what's the best way forward? Buy a boar and just stick them all in together for a few months? Or should I try AI? (I found it pretty hard to tell when the BK/OSB were in season... GOS was more obvious due to the light colour).

Is there a better way to tell if they really are in-pig or not without having to wait ages?

Apologies if this is an obvious newbie question which gets asked a lot. I've done lots of reading, and prepared a lot for this. I have a good setup for farrowing etc. I just don't have any piglets :(
I'm still hopefully our OSB will produce some in a couple of weeks, but also prepared for the worst...

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:02:51 pm by jimmy »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Getting them in-pig
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 09:29:21 am »
I generally put the boar in and leave him - he's can spot who's in season much better than me.  The boar may have been a bit young - I've always used six months+.  If the gilts were well grown he may also have struggled to actually reach them.  Gilts can show little sign of imminent farrowing, especially if they're carrying a small litter.  You'll probably see the line under the belly with the teats descending from it drop down over a period of a week or two and the vulva will enlarge and soften noticeably a couple of days before farrowing.  If you've been feeding them for pregnancy they probably will be a bit overweight by now but rachet them down slowly over a couple of weeks - a sudden reduction could stop them cycling if you cut feed too drastically.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:36:16 am »
Hi it could be a number of reasons boar not oldenuf gilts to over wait , we cut the gilts feed rite down after service then built it up slowly , we scanned them at 30 days and again at 60 days , we served our gilts 3 times first time with a small boar and the next day AI moring and night , we had a 95% conception rate on 30 gilts a week ,   

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:05:27 pm »
Could they be overdue and hiding it really well?  We put some in pig (GOS and Saddleback) in August/September to a young boar and had no problems.  They didn't come back into season at 3 weeks and that's what we've found is a pretty good guide for whether the boar has been successful or not.  Hope they work out for you.

jimmy

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:07:56 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I guess it's possible they're overdue and hiding it well, but I'm just not sure what to look for as it's my first time. I've read lots and lots but you can't beat experience...

The one that looks in-pig to me is due 18th Jan, so here's hoping she makes it. She's indoors and I can monitor via a camera which is good.

I think I'll get a boar and just leave him in with them for a good while next time to make sure.

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 08:31:22 am »
Look for the vulva getting fatter, much like when they're in season, and the teats getting bigger.  Is there any sort of "channel" under the belly along the teats.  I had 2 GOS gilts just had their first litters last month and they didn't look particularly fat either, but then they farrowed with good sized litters.

I think you'd be better off with a boar than AI though.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 08:43:43 am »
Is there, maybe, a pig farmer nearby. You can't beat other people's experience :)

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:38:38 pm »
It is in the teats and vulva.

Enlarged teats and signs of swelling is the surest signal.

Then swollen vulva indicates the gilts are ready.

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:31:37 pm »
Hi Jimmy,
Any news on your sow who was due yesterday?
Have had my fingers crossed for you!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:37:38 pm »
Hi Jimmy
IMO the boar was wa too young to be serving as MF says 7mths + or they just can't reach and they may not have reached the point of fertility. If your gilts didn't take then I am afraid to say that if they have got fat you may struggle to get them in pig at all as fat smothers the ovaries and they stop producing eggs. We waited until a GOS gilt was 14mths old to serve her as I had been unwell and when we eventually put her in with t he boar she just wouldn't take, too fat! So just don't build your hopes up too much.
It is very hard to diet pigs as the damage may have already been done. If none of them have had piglets by the end of this month then you need to think hard what you do next.
Sounds a bit negative I know but its a beginners error, it may be worth finding if theres somebody experienced earby who could guide you a bit more. Go to the GOS website and have a look at the members list there may be a keeper near you who can advise. http://www.gospbc.co.uk/the-club/club-members/
hth
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS