Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas tree?  (Read 2279 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Christmas tree?
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:52:27 am »
I read somewhere that goats (or possibly sheep) can have the Christmas tree. Is this true? I don't want to give them anything that would be bad for them but it would be lovely to see it enjoyed rather than just chucked out.
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Christmas tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:38:45 am »
Unless you cut your own tree from the forest and can therefore be absolutely sure that it was NOT sprayed with some needle conservative I would not even see if they like it. Almost all trees that are bought already cut down via a commercial tree grower will have been sprayed.

My tree (cut down by us) will go to the sheep, but I know they like pine trees and have some nibbles regularly from the trees bordering their field. If goats are not used to eating pine needles I wouldn't think that introducing them to them is worthwhile...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 09:41:52 am »
I saw an article on a goat farm requesting xmas trees for recycling as goat fodder. apparently they love it strip it down.
we have loads of fir trees and iv never seen my goats even nibble them.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:32:01 pm »
our girls love getting the tree, they smell all pine fresh afterwards and once they've stripped what they want they use the branches as between the horns scratching posts
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS