Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buckets  (Read 4488 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Buckets
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:04:04 pm »
Does anyone else have problems with their goats wearing the food buckets?

There was a lot of clattering from outside this evening and I just knew it meant that a goat had a bucket round her neck. The buckets sit in holders and have the handles put to the back but they still occasionally manage to get the handle up and over their heads. It makes the goat jump and run and that makes them all jump and run.

It also invariably ends up with a damaged bucket.

Any suggestions?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Buckets
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:12:52 pm »
my goats have new hook over buckets that are put up at chest height, not cheap, but the billy is smashing them to pieces. grr

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:36 am »
Remove the handles?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:41:01 am »
Remove the handles?

Makes it nigh on impossible to refill without spillages... been there done that.

Mine normally just demolish the buckets, and I am resigned to the fact that new buckets are needed every so often. Kids and goatlings in particular are the worst offenders.

No solution I am afraid... :-\

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:43:33 am »
I use rubber or plastic troughs, but the flexi trug buckets are the handiest things ever. asda sell them cheap.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 11:45:27 am »
I use these - link below. They sit in tyres (which I picked up free fom the local 'get your exhausts, mot, tyres done here sort of a place') They are really strong and I find them to be tougher than the avarage bucket.  Like you, I have had various animlas wearing their buckets over the years (with or without the handles on) but find that as these are specifically designed to sit inside a tyre, they have never been dislodged yet (but I haven't got goats (!). Had mine for years now and used them for feed or water. Much hardier when the water in them ices up as well whereas cheapo buckets just get brittle and split sometimes. No handles to worry about. I got mine from Scats but could only find this link this morning to give you an idea of what I'm on about.

http://www.olddairysaddlery.co.uk/tyre_bucket~p~30500.html?gclid=CNeC5dGW8MICFcrLtAod5z8AjA
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:59 pm »
Because mine were milked and fed in a parlour, the only thing I had to put in buckets was warm water. I had a BT that loved to put one on her head and walk around the yard with it on, the other goats at first ,got up and moved if she came too close but then ignored her. The goat never panicked, just strolled around the lowered her head and put it down !! On occasions she picked it up again and wandered around again, this became quite a routine and the others just ignored her.  Sorry I can't help, I just wasted time watching her !!  :roflanim:

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 11:06:04 pm »
What about one of those flat turny things (I will google and post a pic/the correct name, bear with me!) to keep the handle down?

These : https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCNMuAhNXr4pM_X9gOXCLf_6g6BhjlZDHkXnIFaE0PA7U84CYp - would one of those to keep the handle flat/from lifting up work?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 11:09:06 pm by nutterly_uts »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 12:01:43 am »
I'm loathe to buy a new type of feed container as (a) I have the bucket holders in place and (b) they tend to poo in their buckets if they are too low down. At least they don't panic as much as previous goats have done and I can usually walk up to them and remove the offending item. It's just last night's that was broken.

I'm wondering now whether it's worth paying out for better quality buckets or whether to continue with the cheapy ones.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 07:52:56 am »
I am using the little blue 1 1/4 gallon ones. And yes if they are too far down (or in winter when their bedding is moving upwards) they tend to poo in their buckets.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »
The buckets are very low ATM. I think it might be time to get the shed mucked out.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 07:39:39 pm »
The buckets are very low ATM. I think it might be time to get the shed mucked out.

We did the worst pen yesterday..., buckets much better now! And goats look awfully low down in there!  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 08:47:00 pm »
I wonder how strong my assistant is feeling. Last time he mucked out, he only did half one week and the other half the next and he's a 17 year old. He even got his dad to give him a hand.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS