Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying Fruit Trees  (Read 6858 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Buying Fruit Trees
« on: December 28, 2014, 09:33:21 am »
ive just spent 5 minutes laughing at the accidental fruit tree post. Which prompted me to ask where is the best place to buy a couple of Apple and pear trees? Ideally dwarf but most seem to be about £25 and I was hoping to get a bargain as I will most likely kill them (or the goats will if they get in).

I've only got a smallish area to plant in but the goats and pigs love fruit.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Buying Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 11:18:14 am »
ive just spent 5 minutes laughing at the accidental fruit tree post. Which prompted me to ask where is the best place to buy a couple of Apple and pear trees? Ideally dwarf but most seem to be about £25 and I was hoping to get a bargain as I will most likely kill them (or the goats will if they get in).

I've only got a smallish area to plant in but the goats and pigs love fruit.
I usually buy mine from a garden centre and sometimes shops like morrisons.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit/fruit-trees/apple-pear-trees
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 11:58:58 am »
Try Adam's Apples website.  Most trees £12-15, loads of information on named varieties :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 12:44:22 pm »
I've always been happy with the quality from Deacon's on the Isle of Wight.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »
Yes, I've had great service from Adam's Apples in the past, and also Ashridge Trees.

It's a false economy just to buy any old supermarket tree. The ones I saw for sale this year had been dug up far too soon (still green leaved, as winter arrived so late this year), and didn't have any information on the tags about their rootstocks or pollination groups. That makes everything far more hit and miss, don't you think?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 02:00:06 pm »
Yes, I've had great service from Adam's Apples in the past, and also Ashridge Trees.

It's a false economy just to buy any old supermarket tree. The ones I saw for sale this year had been dug up far too soon (still green leaved, as winter arrived so late this year), and didn't have any information on the tags about their rootstocks or pollination groups. That makes everything far more hit and miss, don't you think?
I agree, am gonna buy some dwarf apple trees for an orchard, as where I live is exposed to harsh weather, so am guessing trees and bushes, which can tolerate harsh weather. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 03:56:59 pm »
Now I want to buy some more fruit trees and I don't have room for any more.  :'( :'(

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:53:58 pm »
I second adam's apples if you want a good choice. If it's just cheap and take a chance then wait 2 mths and try Wilco's or B&M etc

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:09:04 pm »
just bought 39 from Adams apples..fantastic service, and a really nice guy

http://www.adamsappletrees.co.uk

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 10:16:49 pm »
Iv emailed him but waiting for a reply....

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
Sometimes Aldi has them in for very cheap
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 08:51:44 am »
Now I want to buy some more fruit trees and I don't have room for any more.  :'( :'(

MGM, the name has completely escaped me(age!) but have you considered the fruit trees that don't grow huge branches but put out tiny ones and can be planted about three feet apart yet still give a decent crop. Or espaliers or stepovers which will need a bit in the way of management.
                                                            Sylvia.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 06:19:37 pm »
Ballerina are the ones that just grow vertically but it's down to the pruning rather than the type of tree - although you do need them on the right root stock.

I need to plug Keepers Nursery in Maidstone too. Amazing range of varieties and brilliant service - we've had about 70 fruit trees from them so far and I think they're grafting one specially for us now (although I must check - it was about a year ago I asked them about it and it'll be next winter before it's ready!).

H

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 01:37:39 pm »
Useful to know. I am also hoping to buy some fruit trees to start my own orchard, I have been looking at the Heritage sites for local varieties.
________
Caroline

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »
Good time to buy - I've just had a mail from Keepers saying they've got 25% off all their remaining bare root fruit tree and soft fruit stock. I shall be perusing later...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS