Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Considering getting a few goats but have a few worries  (Read 6175 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Considering getting a few goats but have a few worries
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 07:40:03 am »
I can tell the difference but OH cannot.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 09:00:55 am »
Shop bought goat's milk tastes minging IMO!!  I think it tastes how a billy smells.   Our raw milk is consumed by all 4 of my daughters (even in milkshakes) and they love it.   I tend to not drink it as I'm not good with full fat milk so buy skimmed, rest of the family use Savannah's milk though.
Of course, part of my job is promoting goats milk and all of its health benefits and having seen the difference in the girls eczema, husbands asthma and even my mum with her MS and its complications I definitely rate it very highly (not to mention it makes awesome soap  :innocent:  )
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 06:05:15 pm »
In all honesty, I cannot say that there is no difference is taste. And that's because I don't like the taste of cows milk, but I do like the taste of goats milk. I do agree, do not consider that your own home produced milk will taste like shop bought goats milk, it won't.

However, 2 years ago, my sister moved onto her own small holding, and was able to move her goats in with her for the first time. She has 4 daughters, then they were 14, 12, 10 and 10. 2.5 years on, and she still buys cows milk. 2 of them are fine, the other two taste the difference, even in tea! They do use a lot less bought milk, and goats milk is used in all the cooking (cheese /white sauces, baking etc).

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS