Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stargazing  (Read 27398 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: Stargazing
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2015, 06:06:56 pm »
West

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2015, 11:48:25 pm »
So now we're into August, and the big thing to watch for is the Perseid meteor shower.  It peaks on Aug 13th, with maybe one every minute, but there are plenty already.  Mr F saw one last night which apparently crackled as it moved  :o  I haven't seen any yet.  The shower comes from the NE, 60 degrees up, but to see the shooting stars you need to look 90 degrees away, so SE (maybe NW too, but from here we can't see much in that direction because Glasgow pollutes the skies with light).

I'm completely confused with the skies in the summer - nothing's where I'm used to seeing it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2015, 11:55:01 pm »
we saw the spacestation last night, about 00.35, too cloudy tonight but it's about for a few days yet. saw a shooting star while I was looking.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2015, 08:33:47 pm »
Saw some meteors last night. It was quite cloudy, on and off. But enjoyed some quite spectacular "shooting stars! "
Little Blue

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2015, 09:15:35 pm »
St Abbs Edinburgh my friend sent it the biorealis and the meta shower
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:18:07 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2015, 12:10:17 am »
Oh wow VF I didn't realise there was an aurora too.

I saw half a dozen or so meteors last night, but nothing very spectacular, and tonight it's raining.  Still a few more nights to watch.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2015, 09:05:39 am »
Sat outside with my daughter from 11.30pm until 1.30am on Weds. night. It was a truly lovely night and we spotted loads of meteors. She was so excited! The sky was really beautiful ......

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2015, 10:33:11 am »
Raining last night, but on Wednesday night we had a good show of meteors  :excited:

Most of them travelled into the south or south-west from the north or north-east.  One was very different, it looked more like a fireball burning a deep golden trail low down, then disappearing.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2015, 12:52:34 pm »
Havent seen a blooming thing  >:(
Skies pretty clear and quite dark here but, no, not a sausage. I just got eaten alive by midgies!
Is it time to retire yet?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2015, 12:02:30 am »
Tonight is totally clear and no moon.  Since the hay was carted the big field is empty so I sat right in the middle to get a 360 deg view with no trees, buildings etc to obscure the sky.  I soon gave up on the meteors as I only saw one, but there were so many brilliant stars, and the Milky Way was the clearest I've seen it for years.  I stared and stared til my neck had a crick in it.  I've come back in full of the wonders of the Universe.
Rip the Jack Russell sat beside me the whole time - looked like he was lost in wonder too, but more likely he was wondering whenever I was going to do something interesting  ::)  :dog:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2015, 12:31:13 am »
I went and stood in the field behind our house, at midnight - last night was a no no as it was so wet, but the night before, and one before that.  We are really high up, and can see a good way.....but all I saw was plenty of planes banking round to go into Manchester Airport .......

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:31 am »
We're under a flight path too.  You think 'wow, look at that really bright star.  I wonder why I've not noticed it before'.  Then it starts flashing red and green.
I was looking out for the space station again last night but didn't see it this time.

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2015, 07:24:49 pm »
I heard the Space Station was passing overhead one day and took my wife and boys out to spot it... we saw it and watched in wonder as it tracked across the sky. And then watched in puzzlement as it seemed to split in two and the two parts get further and further apart.

It was clear and bright and obvious, there was no mistaking it.

We drove home wondering if we'd just watched it self destruct or something.

We turned on the TV, the news was on. We'd just watched the last shuttle to visit the Space Station make it's departure.

Proper memory for the 4 of us, all the better for being a total surprise. 

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2015, 07:29:54 pm »
We turned on the TV, the news was on. We'd just watched the last shuttle to visit the Space Station make it's departure.
Oh that is awesome, I am so jealous  :notworthy:
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2015, 04:54:50 pm »
The onley pic from last  night folks  11.15

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS