Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stargazing  (Read 27392 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Stargazing
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 11:43:52 am »

https://www.calsky.com/

Thank you for that link pjkvet.  I've been looking for something like that.  Excellent.

Sally - finding Sirius is easy - just continue down to the left from Orion's belt til you come to an amazingly bright star.  That's Sirius and the dog is around it.

The star atlas sounds good.  I had something similar which just lasted a year, so I'll look into the Phillips one - thank you  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 11:52:55 am »
This was Christmas eve 11 o'clock looking at the north star

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 12:20:40 pm »
I love clear nights and an opportunity to get my 4" reflector out, I have found the following programe great in helping you locate stars and planets it gives you a virtual planetarium on your computer or laptop.

http://www.stellarium.org/

This is an open source programe and it was suggested by my daughters science teacher when she was studying her Astronomy GCSE,

I find it great.
Pigs are human tooo

susiev

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 02:39:09 pm »
I've got a couple of apps on my phone that are really good.  The "Sky Map" that Oopsiboughtasheep mentioned works well and I've got another one called "ISS Detector" that tells you when the International Space Station is going over.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 06:22:11 pm »
I, too, love the night sky but now I live in a town, it's not so easy to see. I have experienced the aurora though, although not in the form that it is often shown in photos. It was at midnight over Arran and was like standing under a dome shaped 'waterfall' of colour. I will never, ever forget the experience (or how cold it was standing there).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 10:26:59 pm »
Due to a neck condition I get dizzy or even fall over so although i have always loved watching the sky I can no longer enjoy it.  I have been known to lie flat on the grass in the summer though to enjoy it once it's dark - the dogs tend to ruin it within a few moments unfortunately by rolling all over me.  I will download these apps though so thank you, susiev  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 12:05:02 am »
Due to a neck condition I get dizzy or even fall over so although i have always loved watching the sky I can no longer enjoy it.  I have been known to lie flat on the grass in the summer though to enjoy it once it's dark - the dogs tend to ruin it within a few moments unfortunately by rolling all over me.  I will download these apps though so thank you, susiev  :excited:

Do you have a garden recliner?  That's perfect for stargazing in comfort  :thumbsup:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 05:03:34 am »
VF, you take the most amazing photographs :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 07:41:49 am »
http://astronomynow.com/sky_chart.shtml# 

I don't usually see the early morning sky, so when I did this morning it was a bit scary as I didn't find anything familiar.  Then directly above I found the plough and the polestar to the north of it.  But that was it.  No Orion, no Sirius, but lots of constellations I didn't recognise.  Jupiter was very bright and I did spot that (it was just about bright enough to be casting shadows so I could hardly miss it) 

So I found this site, above, which shows you the sky at any time, as you see it.  The only trouble is, you lose your night vision while you look at the 'puter.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 10:23:12 am »
It was a clear sky last night, although the moon was a little bright so only the brightest stars were visible.

I remember now why I've not got the hang of Sirius etc - in Exmoor, they'd be below the horizon from the valley, and if I went up 'on top', then the light pollution eroded the lower fields.  And it's light pollution here is the problem too.  I did see Sirius a few times when I was on the moorland farm, but even there the glows of Newcastle and Carlisle were quite visible.

Never mind, there are plenty of other constellations to find and enjoy! 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 10:49:14 am »
OK well I have signed up on FL so just have to think where the mini binocs are given I've not seen them in over a decade but don't recall parting with them either..  A drawer or cupboard somewhere... Maybe!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 02:12:03 pm »
That picture is beautiful, where I live I get pretty amazing sunsets, but not as beautiful as that! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »
These are my fav season pics
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:45:39 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »
Fantastic photos and it's clear why you live where you do.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 04:15:15 pm »
I can see the whole coast from where I live and last night the moon was shining down onto the sea, plus it was clear, calm and only 2 clouds near the moon, it was beautiful. Sadly I don't have a really good camera.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS