Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black currant jam.... And vodka?  (Read 4101 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Black currant jam.... And vodka?
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:27:55 pm »
i have A LOT of black currant jam which didn't quite set, but is divine.... Wondering if I cound make a liquere out of it by adding some to vodka or gin? Any suggestions? I was thinking short cut sloe gin kind of drink?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Black currant jam.... And vodka?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:44:49 am »
You can only try! I would put a couple of jars in with a bottle of cheap vodka, shake when you remember for a couple of weeks or so, strain and bottle. I've always found that the worst tasting experiments develop a wonderful flavour the further down the bottle you go! :innocent:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:01:27 pm »
I have just seen this - have you sampled yet and has it worked?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 07:11:45 pm »
If you dilute the jam to get a working specific gravity you can use a high tolerance wine yeast to make a great strong wine. Keep adding a couple of ounces of sugar syrup to the fermentation every 21 days once the initial fermentation is nearly over or so till the wine stops fermenting of it's own accord this time next year.
 Rack it off and add a pint of quality brandy , then store in bulk at say 4 gallons and leave to mature another year.  Check for quality then bottle in small bottles .. you will have a great liqueur type substance in a really rich black current colour that is as clear as a bell & still fairly high in vitamin C .

Store in a cool dark place & consume within five more years or it will develop a sulpherous off flavours .

Do be aware that drinking lots of very high sugar can and frequently turn you into a type 2 diabetic .. ( That was my route to diabetes )   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:14:44 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:15:38 pm »
If you dilute the jam to get a working specific gravity you can use a high tolerance wine yeast to make a great strong wine. Keep adding a couple of ounces of sugar syrup to the fermentation every 21 days once the initial fermentation is nearly over or so till the wine stops fermenting of it's own accord this time next year.
 Rack it off and add a pint of quality brandy , then store in bulk at say 4 gallons and leave to mature another year.  Check for quality then bottle in small bottles .. you will have a great liqueur type substance in a really rich black current colour that is as clear as a bell & still fairly high in vitamin C .

Store in a cool dark place & consume within five more years or it will develop a sulpherous off flavours .

Do be aware that drinking lots of very high sugar alcohols can and frequently does turn you into a type 2 diabetic .. ( That was my route to diabetes .... apparently )
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 07:39:11 pm »

Do be aware that drinking lots of very high sugar can and frequently turn you into a type 2 diabetic .. ( That was my route to diabetes )
Blimey! That sounds amazing and way too many opportunities for me to cock it up! I will file that to try when I am more proficient :-).  Still not tried original idea... But lots left (despite son getting waffle maker for Christmas and discovering that the (ahem) 'compote' is fab on waffles :-)..............

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:12:04 pm »
i have A LOT of black currant jam which didn't quite set, but is divine.... Wondering if I cound make a liquere out of it by adding some to vodka or gin? Any suggestions? I was thinking short cut sloe gin kind of drink?
Yes, I did that a couple of weeks ago, put it in Kilner bottles and handed it out as extra Christmas presents!  Added a bit of martini left in the bottom of a bottle - it was delish!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS