Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greed  (Read 1557 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Greed
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:50 pm »
last Spring I bought a few bales of hay for Pitstop who has to have limited grazing. This hay was 2012 and I paid £15 per round bale. I went back in August to buy some 2013 hay and she wanted £30 per round bale so I said no thanks and bought 30 bales of this years hay to make sure I had enough to see me right through the summer. I passed by her place today. All her hay that was cut and baled for this year is lying in the field. her barn was still full of 2013 hay so she had no where to put it. What a waste of money, the hay must be pretty bad by now as its been soaked over and over again lying in puddles of water at the moment. There must be well over 100 bales. She would have been much better selling the 2013 hay cheaper.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Greed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:54:07 am »
Well, not only did she not sell the hay Sabrina, she will soon have the problem of disposing of it as well.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:03:14 am »
2013 was, round here anyway, a really good crop and lots of it. so it should be cheaper!!

this farm made 20% more haylege than they usually do.. the last small field was a bit damp and wrapped in the rain so it might have spoiled quicker so its been used up first... it was a well rested paddock rather than a proper hayfield it was a bit coarse.. the horses loved it.. now we are onto the hayfield proper and its lovely quality stuff... they have so many horses here it gets used up so they don't sell off the farm.. they sell it to themselves which makes me laugh..

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »
Our local farm has had to drop their price for hay this year. They were a bit annoyed as they invested in a new baler! But his customers are happy  ;)

Beth

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:28:25 pm »
I bought 30 round bales at £25 per bale. thinking of going onto haylage next winter as at least there is no waste. some of the bales are not great and ponies just not eating it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS