Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling rather pleased......  (Read 2825 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Feeling rather pleased......
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:01:04 pm »
We applied for planning permission for a small open fronted hay barn footprint measuring approximately 11.8m x 4.6m and would have a pitched roof that would measure 2.15m at the eaves and 3.3m to the ridge and a 20x60 school for the horses. The whole thing went smoothly only took two months ;-) We are located in an area of AONB with a famous footpath running along the side of the proposed area.
The only exceptions are no external lights on the school and the barn must have a metal roof ;-( I wanted slate !
We did the plans our self avoided architects fees. Mind you we did get stung having to do a ecology report which was a waste of time frankly ;-)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Feeling rather pleased......
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:17:31 pm »
Well done!  On getting your permission, and having the foresight to do it yourself! :excited:

I had to spend heaps on arboricultural reports and surveys because some eejit at the council slapped TPOs on 4 trees on my plot.  The outline planning permission also made stipulations that the trees had to be protected by fencing both during and after build, so it's still not sold.  Last week a neighbour contacted me to say they'd had a letter that the TPOs were being revoked - not a word to the owner! And no right of recompense for the £1500 in architects and tree expert fees.

And because of the time of year and planning committee meetings they can't look at revising the planning consent till March! So I still cant's sell it!  And it's such a shame because it's a beautiful wee hamlet of only 7 houses.

So you've done well!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:49:25 pm »
TPOs are pretty important. They exist for a reason, PITA or not. Pity the process is not slicker.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:44:57 pm »
It was only recently that I discovered that any idiot at large  can fill out the forms for a TPO and not have to  have any connection with the land it stands on or financial accountability for their actions.

Here in Wales every sodding oak tree over something like five metres tall is government protected no matter how daft placed  or dangerous it is.

Getting the TPO revoked is a very expensive action so is getting it examined & pruned for safety or to open the crown up . :o

:tree:  My builder told us that one of the three oaks we have at the bottom of the property is hollow & rotten ( he used a ladder to reach up it to tie off a rope high up and discovered it . 

:idea:   All contributions to fund the tree removal will be gratefully and thankfully received . :roflanim:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:56:00 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:53:03 pm »
We applied for planning permission for a small open fronted hay barn footprint measuring approximately 11.8m x 4.6m and would have a pitched roof that would measure 2.15m at the eaves and 3.3m to the ridge and a 20x60 school for the horses. The whole thing went smoothly only took two months ;-) We are located in an area of AONB with a famous footpath running along the side of the proposed area.
The only exceptions are no external lights on the school and the barn must have a metal roof ;-( I wanted slate !
We did the plans our self avoided architects fees. Mind you we did get stung having to do a ecology report which was a waste of time frankly ;-)

Put your winter lighting  on frame on a small ballasted trailer and move it around as need so make sure you have plenty of plug in points .

These new super bright massive LRD flood lights are fantastic  . I've just purchased 1x 10 watt & 1 x 20 watt . white lights ..

Judging by the light output of mine , I'd say that the bigger 50 watt LED floods  will be something really good and they only use a fraction of the power of a strip light or an incandescent filament light unit .
Another big plus for them is that they have a tremendously long  life and are quite good at taking knocks & vibrations
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 05:04:46 pm »
I made the mistake of mentioning an envisaged occasional animal use on an application for a barn under Class A permitted development rules (land holding over 5 ha). If the site is situated within 400 metres of an unconnected dwelling you can't get it as permitted development. Big mistake as livestock buildings within this 400 metre range require a full consent. I imagine this brings most smallholdings, In England anyway, within range of planners and their regulations. As for inconveniently situated trees, bearing in mind Cloddopper's comment above, the solution is to clear any trees or overhanging branches first before anyone gets a sniff of a planning application. That way there's no debate.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 11:59:46 pm »
you can check the local authorities Tree Preservation Orders register on-line these days .

Obviously don't use you own name & address if the enquiry asks for one unless you like creating possible problems for yourself  in the future

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS