Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting started with geese  (Read 8296 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Getting started with geese
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 10:04:35 pm »
Our Xmas goose ( a "white" Embden type, that was the only one of 8 eggs that hatched - loads more to learn on that front!) was 3.5kgs dressed weight, with a little fat covering over the breasts. Fantastic meat - roast on Xmas day and stir fry on Boxing day.
Had a bit of a shaky start, but really came along well once we got him/her some companions (a breeding pair of Pilgrim geese - autosexing!). Fed on grass plus some wheat at night time.

We are now looking forward to some eggs to incubate and hopefully more success this year.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:33 am »
To your follow-up questions:

- What age to buy in I guess depends on the finances. For sure it's easier once they're older and feathered so they can go straight outside and don't need as much protection from predators. I managed to farm out my young incubator-hatched goslings last year but based on their experiences and my own experience with young ducklings, they're very mucky indoors so unless you have a convenient predator-proof outbuilding, young goslings would be a pain. But then it depends how much more you'd have to pay for an 8 week old or something. Even then you have to be slightly careful - they can still drown and stuff - but they're less at risk from crows or small predators.

- Mixed sex gaggles are loads easier than other birds. The only time I separate out the ganders is in breeding season and I've a problem this year because I've got an extra gander so not quite sure what to do about him - think he'll be living with ducks or something. If you're getting young ones in for Christmas, they'll all be fine until then. And you can eat both sexes - just the geese will be smaller than the ganders.

There was some mention above about plucking etc. If you're doing this commercially, you will need to meet meat processing regulations. So you don't have to have the paperwork for transporting live animals around that you need with four legged creatures but it'd probably be easier if you can find a local abattoir which would be happy to handle them - or somewhere else that already has the relevant hygiene certificates. Otherwise you have to get set up with the correct dispatching and handling processing - they have to be stunned before dispatch, handled in facilities that have a hygiene certificate and then hung/stored in a certified cool room (and collected rather than delivered because otherwise you need to be able to transport in a cooled vehicle too).

H

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »
Thanks again for the info. A bit concerned about finished weight as conditions up here might not be the most favourable. Apparently the local bird guy is very good so I will phone him tomorrow and see what he suggests.

Regarding plucking etc, I have met a licensed poultry slaughter person who runs a commercial business so that will be my first stop. Perhaps in future, if this year goes well, I will look into going commercial myself, but that's a long way down the line.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »
Well after a bit of a delay, I now have six Embden ganders on order. They'll be two months old when I get them, and it won't be until July, but that gives me time to sort out some fencing and I think for a first timer it might be good to get them a bit older and more robust.

Edit: struggling to find good info on what sort of shelter the birds will need. I'd like to put up something small and simple, so that I can easily shift it from one field to another. Not sure what size six birds will need?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:39:16 pm by Creagan »

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 12:20:08 am »
I have an 8x6 foot shed and that would be about right for 6 birds. Mine doesn't drag around but I'm sure you could get a field shelter that size. You just need to find a solution to keeping foxes off somehow....

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 09:20:49 am »

Regarding plucking etc, I have met a licensed poultry slaughter person who runs a commercial business so that will be my first stop. Perhaps in future, if this year goes well, I will look into going commercial myself, but that's a long way down the line.

Can I ask what they charge for plucking and dressing a goose?

Do they kill too or are you delivering them already despatched?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 09:23:37 am »
I have an 8x6 foot shed and that would be about right for 6 birds. Mine doesn't drag around but I'm sure you could get a field shelter that size. You just need to find a solution to keeping foxes off somehow....

Same here, we have a similar sized house made of pallets.

They would rather stay outside though if they were allowed  ;D

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:16 am »

Can I ask what they charge for plucking and dressing a goose?

Do they kill too or are you delivering them already despatched?

Must admit I haven't heard back from them yet! I am hoping to deliver the birds live, it's the actual slaughter process that I want to be done properly, it doesn't matter so much if I make a mess of the rest of it.
Thanks for prompting me to try getting in touch with them again!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 10:11:10 am »

Same here, we have a similar sized house made of pallets.

They would rather stay outside though if they were allowed  ;D

Something made from pallets would be perfect, I have a big pile of them already. Would an 8x4 floorplan be adequate?

I've met two people who keep small flocks of geese and they both told me that their birds never go into their house...

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:07 am »
They usually won't given a choice  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS