Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corn for geese  (Read 4182 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Corn for geese
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:58:27 pm »
In my book for geese it recommends to put the corn for the geese into a container with water on top, so crows etc don't get to it. Just one query though - how deep under water can the corn be?

Mine now get a bit of wheat in the morning too (also in the evening but that is in a bowl inside their house), but of course the crows have cottoned on... so their water bucket is an old round lick bucket (one of the intermediate size ones, maybe 30cms deep). Would some corn in the bottom of that be too deep for them?

What do others do? Still fairly new to geese...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Corn for geese
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:35:48 pm »
Ours have no trouble reaching to the bottom of a bucket. They absolutely love their corn in a bucket of water.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:16:32 pm »
Weird. Ours won't thank you for putting their food under water.  I'm also not convinced about feeding corn - it seems to come out much the same as it went in half the time?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:17:49 pm »
Weird. Ours won't thank you for putting their food under water.  I'm also not convinced about feeding corn - it seems to come out much the same as it went in half the time?
Have you ever looked after you eat corn?  It comes out much the same as it went in  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:46:53 pm »
Thanks, I will try the deep bucket and see if it disappears. Definitely too deep for crows...

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 04:34:01 pm »
My geese love mixed corn in a bucket every day and it's always empty the next day

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 05:54:32 pm »
How easy is it keeping geese? I have often wanted to keep them, but sadly I need to make space for them.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:25:10 am »
Geese are like ducks to keep but less hassle as they dont mess up the grass .This is my first year with them but plan to get more next year as they have been great.Also good guard dogs   :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:51:34 am »
We feed ours mixed corn every night and I've never seen any evidence of undigested corn in their droppings. I used to have a poke around in it because I thought the corn would come straight through but it appears not to.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:36:06 am »
Well the corn in the bucket (under water) was not a success.... they do get it at night neat in a bowl inside, it gets eaten and their droppings are fine, no evidence of undigested grains there.

Back to the drawing board...

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 03:40:52 pm »
I use corn in the evening to get my geese in for the night. They will eat it in water or not and they love it. Droppings are as they should be, they have access to grit all the time.

In the wild water birds will sieve the water to find food. 

Dave

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 04:22:49 am »
I tend to put ours in about  half a bowl of water. We use a plastic washing up bowl  for ours. Not as deep as a bucket and wider.  When we tried a bucket it didn't go down very well
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS