Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breed of chicken?  (Read 4250 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
What breed of chicken?
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:02:44 pm »
Heya guys, I was at a national trust property the other week and noticed they kept a few unusual chickens. These chickens are a sort of medium brown colour with brown speckles and large bantam like tails. They are a very small chicken. Any ideas what they might be?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: What breed of chicken?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:46:10 pm »
I find this site pretty useful for ID'ing chooks http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/poultry/index.htm

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:03:51 pm »
Barbu d'Anvers?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »
Maybe fresians? I would suspect it would be an Rare breed of some sort.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:18:59 am »
Barbu d'Anvers?

Barbu d'Anvers are tiny, about the size of a pigeon and make my other bantams look like giants. Sometimes cockerels of any breed look remarkably alike and nothing like the hens.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »
they have tails like the fresians, but they are a chocolaty brown with brown spots and are very small
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 07:27:32 pm »
Are they mash daisey if its britanic

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:20 am »
Are they mash daisey if its britanic
[/quote
No theyre a darker a lovely brown chocolate colour, very small and have brown spots plus a tail like a fresian.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 09:54:07 am »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 10:16:44 am »
Dutch?
http://www.poultryclub.org/breed-gallery/chickens/
Thanks for that.... it is a sebright, the brown kind. I just compared my picture to pictures of a sebright. Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it. :) :)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 10:35:20 am »
I've just had a look at those - aren't they gorgeous? :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 09:34:33 am »
I believe Sebrights are the breed most susceptible to Marek's Disease. 

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 09:51:06 am »
I've had Seebrights and they didn't have spots but looked as though someone had gone round each feather with a small paintbrush and black paint.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 02:28:38 pm »
I've had Seebrights and they didn't have spots but looked as though someone had gone round each feather with a small paintbrush and black paint.
sorry I mean't mottled!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS